Markings on tangs face

dylanst.onge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin tang and tenneti tang both have these markings on their faces and seem to slowly get worse. They eat plenty and I feed lots of nori no other tangs have any markings or anything and both fish have been in the tank for 3 or so years. It's hard to get pictures with the top down but I did get a little video. Not sure if it's a pest or what any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20211022_211857.mp4
    64.3 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin tang and tenneti tang both have these markings on their faces and seem to slowly get worse. They eat plenty and I feed lots of nori no other tangs have any markings or anything and both fish have been in the tank for 3 or so years. It's hard to get pictures with the top down but I did get a little video. Not sure if it's a pest or what any help would be appreciated
Looks like a common issue, discussed here by an expert:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah probably .I'm s10 plus so android also
Oh idk then I'm on a note 20 ultra. Possibly different versions of Android then.
If it helps anyone here is a zoomed in screen capture from the video.
Screenshot_20211022-215829_Gallery.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - both fish have Head and Lateral Line Erosion. It is most commonly linked to carbon use. Stopping carbon use does not always heal the scars though, and in some cases, tanks having held carbon years ago can continue to cause this in new fish.

One thing about feeding Nori - a lot of folks buy Sushi grade roasted Nori. I don't think that has any Vitamin C in it, and other nutrients may also be lost during the roasting process. Air dried, specifically made for aquarium use is best.

For me, unless the video is hosted (like You Tube), the best way for me to see them is to download them and then play them back. Even then, it can be hit or miss - my home computer has a different codec than my work computer, so some videos won't play for me at work.

Jay Hemdal

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - both fish have Head and Lateral Line Erosion. It is most commonly linked to carbon use. Stopping carbon use does not always heal the scars though, and in some cases, tanks having held carbon years ago can continue to cause this in new fish.

One thing about feeding Nori - a lot of folks buy Sushi grade roasted Nori. I don't think that has any Vitamin C in it, and other nutrients may also be lost during the roasting process. Air dried, specifically made for aquarium use is best.

For me, unless the video is hosted (like You Tube), the best way for me to see them is to download them and then play them back. Even then, it can be hit or miss - my home computer has a different codec than my work computer, so some videos won't play for me at work.

Jay Hemdal
I disagree with the nori part. A lot of them are roasted with IR heat. Doesn't reach high enough temps to degrade C. Maybe so with the others category.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with the nori part. A lot of them are roasted with IR heat. Doesn't reach high enough temps to degrade C. Maybe so with the others category.

There may be a difference between "dried", "toasted" and "roasted" nori. In the absence of being able to test for vit. C, I think it is best to avoid Sushi grade Nori. 140 F. is enough to degrade a substantial amount of it.

Here is a cool article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7835986/

It shows that Porphyra, the genus used to make Nori sheets contains around 0.7 mg/g of vitamin C. That is by wet weight though, so you can't compare it to dried nori.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There may be a difference between "dried", "toasted" and "roasted" nori. In the absence of being able to test for vit. C, I think it is best to avoid Sushi grade Nori. 140 F. is enough to degrade a substantial amount of it.

It shows that Porphyra, the genus used to make Nori sheets contains around 0.7 mg/g of vitamin C. That is by wet weight though, so you can't compare it to dried nori.

Jay
Fully agreed and for this reason, I only use Ocean nutrition and Rod's algae sheets

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water quality plays a role (reason why many add carbon or over-carbon) and diet.
With most tangs, feed at least:

Spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Hikari Marine cuisine
Hikari Mega marine algae
Mysis shrimp
small plankton

Add selcon vitamins to the food 2-3X per week and garlic extract on alternating days for immunity system health and overall stamina

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
loss of "70% of the initial content during storage" oxidation.. "found that drying at 30 °C for 4 h did not affect the ascorbic acid content, moreover did washing or toasting for 15 s of nori sheets not influence the ascorbic acid content." in processing section. I can actually test this maybe you have inspired a thread.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loss of "70% of the initial content during storage" oxidation.. "found that drying at 30 °C for 4 h did not affect the ascorbic acid content, moreover did washing or toasting for 15 s of nori sheets not influence the ascorbic acid content." in processing section. I can actually test this maybe you have inspired a thread.
So - we probably need to back up and determine what we are trying to conclude here. I said roast nori is deficient in vitamin C because I know that to be heat liable. Also, everyone "knows" that a lack of vitamin C causes HLLE. However, let's start with that:

The only study I know of that looked at HLLE and Vitamin C was by George Blasiola, back in 1989 and 1990. That paper was not peer reviewed. Here is one link to an old SeaScope article where Blasiola was said to have discussed this at the Monaco Aquarium Congress:

Years ago, I had reviewed George's study and found it fatally flawed: poor control, fish were moved to new tanks and no measurement of vitamin C was actually made.

Andy Stamper (another carbon/HLLE proponent) didn't find a connection with lack of C and HLLE:
https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?pId=11257&id=3865088&print=1

We had our fish diets analyzed by Michigan State University. Across our entire collection, the only deficiencies seen were Thiamin and E. Ascorbic acid didn't make the list.

Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just say it is not as heat liable. That 1st article said it too. The .7mg was dry weight? Where you get 140 degree F from? Not saying relation or not to hlle.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 114 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back