Maroon clown fish fungus?

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I just discovered this on my female clown that I’ve had for 6 years. She is the only fish in the tank with this. Even her male partner doesn’t have it. She’s still eating and acting “ normal” but the fact that it’s on the gills and both sides has me worried. Both gills and the area behind the gills as well as a spot mid body. Scales appear raised and even missing in some spots. What is this?

2A40095B-BF60-4E8D-B3E5-C8B2D76164F1.jpeg B612F191-BAB9-4AFD-A097-E22B7097BFF8.jpeg 2AF1BEA5-0B4E-490B-BAD2-8A1FC1CE0D40.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks chronic, could it have developed over time and you just noticed it? If it developed quickly, then it is a very aggressive infection. Do you have a treatment tank you can move it to?
Jay

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks chronic, could it have developed over time and you just noticed it? If it developed quickly, then it is a very aggressive infection. Do you have a treatment tank you can move it to?
Jay
Hey Jay! Thank you for your reply. I'm a fan of your books and fortunate to be able to discuss this with you.
Truth be told, my clowns and BTA's are in an auxiliary 20 gallon that is plumbed off of my 180 sps dominate reef. This last week I have been acclimating and playing peacekeeper with my new Achilles tang and the other tangs so I have not been looking closely at the clowns so I totally could have missed something.
I do have a QT that is being sterilized and set up as I type this. I have some mysis shrimp soaking with Metroplex and Kanaplex. I was planning to treat the QT with Ruby Reef rally as that has worked for me in the past with various other ailments. Would you suggest something else or a different course of action? Any guess as to what it is? Bacterial? Fungal? Possibly even trauma?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Jay! Thank you for your reply. I'm a fan of your books and fortunate to be able to discuss this with you.
Truth be told, my clowns and BTA's are in an auxiliary 20 gallon that is plumbed off of my 180 sps dominate reef. This last week I have been acclimating and playing peacekeeper with my new Achilles tang and the other tangs so I have not been looking closely at the clowns so I totally could have missed something.
I do have a QT that is being sterilized and set up as I type this. I have some mysis shrimp soaking with Metroplex and Kanaplex. I was planning to treat the QT with Ruby Reef rally as that has worked for me in the past with various other ailments. Would you suggest something else or a different course of action? Any guess as to what it is? Bacterial? Fungal? Possibly even trauma?
To chime in in case Jay is not available being at work (I’m on my break)
You ask difference:
Bacterial infections generally occur when a fish’s immune system is suppressed by something, such as stress or trauma. Since pathogenic bacteria are always present in aquarium water, they are always ready to take advantage of a fish with a damaged immune system. Symptoms of external bacterial infections include decaying of the fins (fin-and-tail rot), causing them to appear red or brown, or body ulcers, which are red, swollen lesions that generally start in one area and then spread.
Fungal diseases are a rare occurrence in marine fish, but they can occasionally occur after an injury or parasitic infection. Similar to pathogenic bacteria, pathogenic fungi are always present in saltwater aquariums, ready to attack fish with lowered immune systems. It is very difficult to diagnose a fungal infection, because it almost always occurs with a parasitic infection. If you suspect one of your fish has a fungal infection, remove him from the tank immediately and try treating him with malachite green, methylene blue, or one of the various treatments out there such as myacin based

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's been caught and put into a 5 gallon tank at the moment. I have a 10 as well but don't believe it's necessary. I have added Seachem Stress Guard but no medications yet. I want to try to get a better photo now that shes isolated and go from there.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with closer inspection, I’m thinking these look more like trauma wounds. In fact, as I was trying to catch her, I noticed my Yellow Tang (he’s only a short term guest in that tank) was flashing against her. I had seen that behavior earlier in the week but didn’t think much of it.

Attachments

• E1C373CE-1BD8-4239-BC46-9FD82A7AD0B9.jpeg
    E1C373CE-1BD8-4239-BC46-9FD82A7AD0B9.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 25
  • EB6C6C17-D6F6-49C3-ADC7-6B7C785FC8C1.jpeg
    EB6C6C17-D6F6-49C3-ADC7-6B7C785FC8C1.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 33

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently net the fish? The gill plate lesions could be from getting caught in a net....unlikely that a tang would have done that, but the lesions on the back could be from the tang.
I prefer to use a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in the water when I suspect a bacterial infection. Kanamycin, Maracyn 2 or perhaps Furan2
Jay

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To chime in in case Jay is not available being at work (I’m on my break)
You ask difference:
Bacterial infections generally occur when a fish’s immune system is suppressed by something, such as stress or trauma. Since pathogenic bacteria are always present in aquarium water, they are always ready to take advantage of a fish with a damaged immune system. Symptoms of external bacterial infections include decaying of the fins (fin-and-tail rot), causing them to appear red or brown, or body ulcers, which are red, swollen lesions that generally start in one area and then spread.
Fungal diseases are a rare occurrence in marine fish, but they can occasionally occur after an injury or parasitic infection. Similar to pathogenic bacteria, pathogenic fungi are always present in saltwater aquariums, ready to attack fish with lowered immune systems. It is very difficult to diagnose a fungal infection, because it almost always occurs with a parasitic infection. If you suspect one of your fish has a fungal infection, remove him from the tank immediately and try treating him with malachite green, methylene blue, or one of the various treatments out there such as myacin based
Thank you for the explanation. Fish diseases are something I really don't know much about. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with many.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently net the fish? The gill plate lesions could be from getting caught in a net....unlikely that a tang would have done that, but the lesions on the back could be from the tang.
I prefer to use a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in the water when I suspect a bacterial infection. Kanamycin, Maracyn 2 or perhaps Furan2
Jay
Nope. No net. Even when I just caught her, I used an acrylic trap and then wetted my hand and grabbed her. I hate nets for that very reason.
I have some Furan2 but it appears to be expired. What are your thoughts on Reef Rally?

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to tell if this ailment is affecting the functionality of the gills? I'm guessing heavy breathing is the only way.
I think this may be more of a chemistry question but is there any way to more heavily oxygenate the water. Say adding multiple airstones versus one. Or even a skimmer/pump with an air intake to create more tiny bubbles? Just as humans use nasal cannulas with oxygen, I would think added oxygen in the water column would be beneficial to a sick or injured fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. No net. Even when I just caught her, I used an acrylic trap and then wetted my hand and grabbed her. I hate nets for that very reason.
I have some Furan2 but it appears to be expired. What are your thoughts on Reef Rally?
I prefer to use true antibiotics when trying to treat potential bacterial infections. Ruby Reef has limited potential in that regard, but is at least puported to be reef safe. It is better than using any of those plant extract “tonics”.
Jay

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to use true antibiotics when trying to treat potential bacterial infections. Ruby Reef has limited potential in that regard, but is at least puported to be reef safe. It is better than using any of those plant extract “tonics”.
Jay
Understood. Thank you again for the help guys. I will update and keep you posted.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to tell if this ailment is affecting the functionality of the gills? I'm guessing heavy breathing is the only way.
I think this may be more of a chemistry question but is there any way to more heavily oxygenate the water. Say adding multiple airstones versus one. Or even a skimmer/pump with an air intake to create more tiny bubbles? Just as humans use nasal cannulas with oxygen, I would think added oxygen in the water column would be beneficial to a sick or injured fish.
Most reef tanks run near saturation for oxygen, at least during the day. Adding aeration won’t get you beyond saturation. Aeration does help with driving off excess CO2 though. I use respiration rate as a diagnostic tool - counting one day to the next to look for increases, as well as the general rate itself. I’d say your fish ought to be breathing around 70 to 85 gill beats per minute.
Jay

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reef tanks run near saturation for oxygen, at least during the day. Adding aeration won’t get you beyond saturation. Aeration does help with driving off excess CO2 though. I use respiration rate as a diagnostic tool - counting one day to the next to look for increases, as well as the general rate itself. I’d say your fish ought to be breathing around 70 to 85 gill beats per minute.
Jay
Okay, that makes sense.
Awesome information!

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I'm happy to say she is looking fine and moved back in with her mate in the display. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back