Maroon Clown fish laying eggs - what do I need to do?

Han_And

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon clowns have started to lay eggs. They laid their first batch about 10 days ago - which hatched over 2 nights.
Today they have laid another lot. This time we want to try and get it right. Does anyone have any experience in raising them? What do we need to do in terms of set up, feeding etc.
Thank you

176B163B-B811-496F-B8B5-9E0AD97535EE.jpeg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rotifer culture going, and acquire either live cultures of nannochloropsis and isochrysis phytoplankton, or the frozen/refrigerated equivalent. Also get started on buying brine shrimp eggs or TDO (top-dressed otohime).

Get some sort of larval rearing tank such as a 10 gallon tank, or large round tote tub (the 18 gallon black ones look nice). Either remove the clutch by hand, or wait for hatch night and transfer them to the rearing tank.

Buy a good marine breeder's book like Wittenrich's Marine Breeder's Guide, or Wilkinson's Clownfishes for further advice.

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rotifer culture going, and acquire either live cultures of nannochloropsis and isochrysis phytoplankton, or the frozen/refrigerated equivalent. Also get started on buying brine shrimp eggs or TDO (top-dressed otohime).

Get some sort of larval rearing tank such as a 10 gallon tank, or large round tote tub (the 18 gallon black ones look nice). Either remove the clutch by hand, or wait for hatch night and transfer them to the rearing tank.

Buy a good marine breeder's book like Wittenrich's Marine Breeder's Guide, or Wilkinson's Clownfishes for further advice.

yes get rotifer and defiantly get another tank because they will not survive in a display

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you can’t take them out, wait till the eyes go silver indicating they will hatch in the next night or two.
Most of the time they will hatch about 2-3 hours after lights out. Eliminate flow.
Shine a small flashlight through the glass, the larva will move to the light and you can use a cup to take them out. You will lose a lot. The will have about 12 hours of nutrition “on board” so you need to have rotifers, gut loaded with phyto and Selcon available for 7-10 days after which you can transition to pulverized flake.

it’s great fun and learning so enjoy.

survival rates can be increased by.
-removing rock or clay pot to a fry rearing tank.
-providing some water movement around the eggs with an air stone.
-providing a constant supply of rotifers.

OP
OP
H

Han_And

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.
what do I require for a rearing larval tank? Do they need a light? - I’ve read some people do and some don’t.

OP
OP
H

Han_And

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do I need a light on the rearing tank?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back