Marquise O's Shallow 36"x24"x16" Reef Tank

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey marquise quick question how much did it cost in total to make your light rack?

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing significant to report with the tank. The tank is starting to stabilize. SPS are starting to regain color.

My tank is now filled with millions(not an exaggeration) of pods all over the glass and rocks.
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PURDY! :p

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

-Lighting: Right now I have (2) Hydra 52 HD. I can truly say these lights are worth every penny and rival many of the other popular fixtures out there. The reason I chose these were due to cost, user friendliness, builtin wifi, appeal, and my first choice was on backorder for months in the US. I have had several fresh cut corals to encrust nicely while under these lights.

I recently received an email that my first choice of lighting, Giesemann Matrixx II 6x39W was back in stock so I purchased it. I may add two "36" Reefbrite XHO units on the outer areas as seen in the images below but I am not sure how effective they will be on the outsides:

ot7WiE8.jpg

20151229_194655_zpslliixygy.jpg

Image from BeanMachine on ReefCentral.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were done with t5?
I was done with T5 for two reasons: bulb cost and I was informed that the Giesemann Matrixx II was going to be on backorder for a months in the US. With this tank build, my main focus is aesthetics and that fixture fits the profile for the lighting choice. For the bulbs cost issue, I eliminated that issue by reducing the bulb count by two which saves almost $40 and because of my aquascape on a shallow reef system, I could actually make due with just 4 bulbs if I wanted to save further but I will just do 6.

The hydra 52 HD is hands down the best LED fixture I have had. The Radion Gen 3/ Pro is nice but Hydra beats it due to the 4 puck design instead of two, built in Wifi (no need to spend an extra $99 for wireless controls), and cost. This is my opinion based on my experience with the fixtures.

Last edited:

Drew Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was done with T5 for two reasons: bulb cost and I was informed that the Giesemann Matrixx II was going to be on backorder for a months in the US. With this tank build, my main focus is aesthetics and that fixture fits the profile for the lighting choice. For the bulbs cost issue, I eliminated that issue by reducing the bulb count by two which saves almost $40 and because of my aquascape on a shallow reef system, I could actually make due with just 4 bulbs if I wanted to save further but I will just do 6.

The hydra 52 HD is hands down the best LED fixture I have had. The Radion Gen 3/ Pro is nice but Hydra beats it due to the 4 puck design instead of two, built in Wifi (no need to spend an extra $99 for wireless controls), and cost. This is my opinion based on my experience with the fixtures.

Based on your experience with this tank what fixture would you recommend for a 48x24x16 rimless. ATI 36" or 48"? And 4, 6 or 8 bulb for a mixed reef?

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your experience with this tank what fixture would you recommend for a 48x24x16 rimless. ATI 36" or 48"? And 4, 6 or 8 bulb for a mixed reef?

48" 8 Bulb, if your funds allow. This will give you more bulb choices and allow you to place corals pretty much anywhere in the tank. I am not sure what your scape is like or what it will be so this will be your best bet.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice and clean look!
Thanks!
Awesome build! I mentioned this build to Shac and he told me how much planning went into this.
It was actually a spur of the moment type thing. I just up and determined that I needed more room and knew that I liked the IM SR60 went from there.

This piece gets better every day:
24970880540_a2e665c343_c.jpg

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All drilled and cleaned. Next step is to paint the bottom (outer) and back of the tank black. Then install the 16" Synergy Reef Overflow. My bulkhead for the return should arrive tomorrow along with my plumbing material.

24404326655_e7a02e085a_c.jpg
Did you remove the old black background for a reason? Seems like you could have avoided the painting? Also what kind of paint do you use? Thinking about doing this to my IM 40

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the old black background for a reason? Seems like you could have avoided the painting? Also what kind of paint do you use? Thinking about doing this to my IM 40
Because it was torn in places. I just used regular flat black spray paint in multiple coats.

Update:

-I have installed my Giesemann Matrixx II fixture to my reef tank; selling off my AI Hydra 52 HDs. I will be integrating (2) 36" Reefbrite XHO fixtures into the fixture as shown above.
- I purchased 9 Royal Grammas for the tank
tongue.png
. They should ship out today for tomorrow. Pics soon to follow.
-Sorry for the lack of pics, nothing significant has happened to the tank to up till now.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Grammas arrived today. Only 8/9 arrived alive. The 8 are settling in and 4 have been in and out of the scape since I have arrived home.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two pics for now till they are all out:

25423765475_73b81f0714_c.jpg

24797063433_30279b9079_c.jpg

I really miss having a macro lens for better closeups. I need to order one for my 70D.

Back