Mars Aqua Chinese black box PWM Converter

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, you just need cable and connectors to install the adapter boards. You can use pretty much anything you want to accomplish this, but I like the 3 pin mini-xlr connectors. Aviation connectors also seem pretty popular (and might be a little easier to solder). Then you need some cable. I used alarm cable and just used 3 of the conductors.

I also used m3 standoffs to mount the board in the light.

Hopefully this is helpful, but I'm happy to help if you have other questions.
Ok, let me be sure I'm thinking correctly. I will need the following:
(3) adapter boards (one for each light)
(3) 3 pin connectors
Alarm cable
M3 standoffs

Am I missing anything else?

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I picked up a Viparspectra light and am planning to modify the board to work with those next.

Did you get any pictures of your light wired up? The comment about +12v and GND sounds unusual. I'm also curious if the connectors is a 4 pin JST-XH with the colors backwards.
Sorry I'm digging up this old thread but I saw you've come up with the Viparspectra adapters. Will you be making more of them? Also, is there a simple video or tutorial for getting these setup in the lights and connected to the reefpi. I haven't looked into reefpi at all yet so I've got a big learning curve ahead of me.

OP
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm digging up this old thread but I saw you've come up with the Viparspectra adapters. Will you be making more of them? Also, is there a simple video or tutorial for getting these setup in the lights and connected to the reefpi. I haven't looked into reefpi at all yet so I've got a big learning curve ahead of me.
I don't plan to make any more of Mars Aqua adapters, but I recently finished a batch of Viparspectra adapters.

Setting up a reef-pi system has a bit of a learning curve, but I think it's worth doing. Ranjib has created some guides on Adafruit and the community is very welcoming and helpful.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan to make any more of Mars Aqua adapters, but I recently finished a batch of Viparspectra adapters.

Setting up a reef-pi system has a bit of a learning curve, but I think it's worth doing. Ranjib has created some guides on Adafruit and the community is very welcoming and helpful.
I ended up getting an Apex so now I'm trying to figure out how to ramp the Viparspectras with that.

The Steve's LEDs website has some adapters but they couldn't tell me if they'll work with the current remote controlled Vipar lights.

OP
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting an Apex so now I'm trying to figure out how to ramp the Viparspectras with that.

The Steve's LEDs website has some adapters but they couldn't tell me if they'll work with the current remote controlled Vipar lights.
I don't believe Apex is compatible with Viparspectra, unless it has 3.3v PWM output. I think you would need something to convert 10v analog to a PWM output. Feel free to tag me if you start a thread about it.

M4xyppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Michael lane im looking at buying a viparspectra 165w led. I understand how to connect your board to it but not sure on how to then control it.

I have a similar light that I used an app called aqdim3 to control them. How would I control the new lights in a similar app based method to achieve sunrise sunset cycle. I’ve briefly looked at reef pi but I’d prefer a simple stand alone light controller not really interested in additional automation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back