Mars Aqua Chinese black box PWM Converter

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My adapter board for SB Reef Lights are a success!

I'm going to order more PCB's, but I need to know how many to order.
Who here wants one? You will need 1 for each light.

They are going to be $12.00 each, plus shipping.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need 3 of his boards, and 3 of mine.
So I won't need 1 for each channel and for each light. It seems like daisy chain should take care of the need for 1 for each light? Admittedly i don't know much about how electronics work.

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I won't need 1 for each channel and for each light. It seems like daisy chain should take care of the need for 1 for each light? Admittedly i don't know much about how electronics work.

Each board provides 2 channels. So you'll need 3 of each boards.

The daisy chaining is only for the signal line coming from the Reef-Pi. You will still need 3 of each board. One per light.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each board provides 2 channels. So you'll need 3 of each boards.

The daisy chaining is only for the signal line coming from the Reef-Pi. You will still need 3 of each board. One per light.
I acquired a fixture from work that I plan to mount my 3 SB reeflights inside. I wonder if there is a way to have the board in my control box?

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, with your diagram and I found 2 2222 transistors in my parts bin. As well as the 10K resistors.
It looks like it is very similar to the one you used.
Anyone have input to if this 2222 would work as used in the diagram the DR posted? I am going to be home tomorrow so I may make a little breakout board if the transistor looks correct for this.

Edited due to tiredness and readability

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, with your diagram and I found 2 2222 transistors in my parts bin. As well as the 10K resistors.
It looks like it is very similar to the one you used.
Anyone have input to if this 2222 would work as used in the diagram the DR posted? I am going to be home tomorrow so I may make a little breakout board if the transistor looks correct for this.

Edited due to tiredness and readability

It should work fine.

Make sure you test the power input so see if your light is wired with the black wire positive or not.

I did order the pcb's for the adapter boards, so once I get those in, I'll be assembling them and putting them up for sale.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about this extra cost to run these underpowered Chinese LED power supplies that come in the SB Reeflights. I'll have to buy 2 more ML boards plus 3 of your adapter boards @drbogger . That's another $66, I already have one ML board. I can buy 2 Meanwell HLG-240H-c2100b one for each channel to power all 3 lights for $128. Plus with the 2 Meanwells i can add an additional 40 led giving me 480 watts instead of the 360 i have now.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I picked up a Viparspectra light and am planning to modify the board to work with those next.

Did you get any pictures of your light wired up? The comment about +12v and GND sounds unusual. I'm also curious if the connectors is a 4 pin JST-XH with the colors backwards.
Hi, Michael.
I have (3) Mars Aqua 165w leds.
Will you make a list of what I would need to install the adapter boards.
Thanks

OP
OP
Michael Lane

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Michael.
I have (3) Mars Aqua 165w leds.
Will you make a list of what I would need to install the adapter boards.
Thanks
Generally, you just need cable and connectors to install the adapter boards. You can use pretty much anything you want to accomplish this, but I like the 3 pin mini-xlr connectors. Aviation connectors also seem pretty popular (and might be a little easier to solder). Then you need some cable. I used alarm cable and just used 3 of the conductors.

I also used m3 standoffs to mount the board in the light.

Hopefully this is helpful, but I'm happy to help if you have other questions.

Back