.Marshall's IM 40g build

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My name is Marshall and I’m back after an 8 year hiatus, I live in Minnesota.

My old build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-tank-build-75g.86312/

I built a new house in 2018 and had a room designed next to the bar area in my basement specifically as a fish room. I had them double the electrical circuits/outlets, add a floor drain, hot/cold water lines, bath fan, and a dummy wall for the “star of the show ” 6ft in-wall tank.

Fast forward to present, my wife and I spent the last 4 years raising 3 young kids (6yo, 4yo, 2yo) I spent a year overseas deployed (I fly Helicopters for the Army) and I’m very excited to get back into the hobby with my kids!!

I’m going to start with a small 20-40g AIO that will sit in the fishroom and allow me to crawl, walk, run back into keeping a reef tank while prepping for the big build a year or two from now.

I will be spending time perusing the forums to get back up to speed on the new controllers, heaters, skimmers, pumps, etc.

Let me know if you have any ‘No brainers’ to share with me!

B0BFC2A2-9B86-4F4C-90EB-83F7B527F7AB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
.Marshall

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas update!

I cleaned out the fishroom, then realized I had yet to paint the walls in that room.. so I knocked that out. Also decided it was now or never to epoxy the floor before everything gets installed.

Before epoxy:
1EA06DF5-01AF-44EA-8593-0BCCADDCC7A7.jpeg

After:
B30A375E-2146-4CA6-A903-7CF12415B943.jpeg

I also installed a rubber/vinyl trim, but before I did that I siliconed the gap between the floor and the sheet rock. The room should be able to withstand 1” of standing water without any damage to the walls or nearby rooms. Not that it’s likely to ever have standing water with the floor drain, but I thought it was a necessary precaution.

The gap pictured in the rubber trim is for my cabinetry where the 40g will sit.

Also stained the butcher block top for the base cabinets. I used Rubio Monocoat “Aqua”. I’ve used Rubio monocoat before for my counter top in my garage workshop. It’s too easy! Highly recommend.

64A65848-970D-419B-942A-3197CE3E7EA4.jpeg

Recent purchases, not pictured:
- Utility sink
- Apex ATK V2 auto-top off
- Dry rock
- 2x 50g Vertical water tanks for water station
- Plumbing for water change station

Next up:
1. Paint and install the cabinets.
2. Figure out how to Install RO/DI on dedicated water lines.
3. Build a stand for water station tanks.

MenacerX686

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some damage on Black Friday...

9E6C3524-9F44-413E-BD57-A83B836DDB62.jpeg

I did a lot of damage too during Black Friday. I live a 10 minute drive from Bulk Reef Supply's headquarter so it was awesome to be able to buy and pick up the same day. What's even better is to be able to refund unopened items by driving there and not having to pay to ship it back. Is shipping basically next day delivery for you in St. Cloud when buying from BRS?

Back