"martha, get the shotgun" Critter ID - Spaghetti Worm?

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Last night, as I was observing my tank during lights out after a Devil's Lettuce sesh, I saw what I considered...some creepy critter sucking the life out of one of my snails.
Hold on snail...Mommy's coming to save you!

{{{set up a quick video the tank session :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:}}}

image0.jpeg

Suspected Critter as seen in the awesome Critter ID thread here on R2R

spaghetti worm ID.JPG

"what the heck is that ?!!!"

"Get away from my snail!" - In hindsight, a wee bit of an overreaction :rolleyes:

Timelapse of the worm drilling back into the sandbed

A little regretful that I f'd with it. But, it looks like it was healthy enough to drill back into the sandbed.
This morning, I couldn't see it anymore in that spot. But that could be because the tank is in its daytime cycle.

Any competing theories as to the critter ID as a Spaghetti Worm?

Cheers,

Kim

BTW, looks like I'll be doing some work for a researcher on Sponges and how they might be a linchpin species in water clarity. Maybe they are kind of like the "Beavers of the Estuaries"?
Anyways, anything other than looking at mammalian cells tends to be out of my area of expertise, but my kung fu in this instance is the technology used to look at sponge influent and effluent. Good times in my book.

Attachments

• creeper.mov
    1.4 MB

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, spaghetti worm. One of the best CUC in my opinion. Very welcome in my tanks. Your snail was fine. It was probably just trying to get some detritus around it.

Time lapse was funny with all the critters scurrying around. What was that flat shelled one at the end?

OP
OP
wolfen281

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back