Martin Lowry's (AKA, Zaphod) Reef-Pi Build

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally completed my Reef-Pi controller build and wanted to post a few pics.

I've been following @Ranjib Day's Reef-Pi thread for a couple of years and about a year ago I decided to go ahead and build my own Reef-Pi controller. I have to say that there are allot of smart Reefers out there who have contributed much to the project. I read allot on the forum and learned much from these awesome folks and finally I felt confident that I could build my own.

So here it is., my first attempt at building a Reef-Pi
20201202_131926.jpg

My goal was to build everything that I wanted/needed into one enclosure, and use an ADJ-SRP8 power strip to run my return pump, two wave makers, two heaters, skimmer and cooling fans. I decided to reuse the power supply from my Current USA Dual LED strips and added an input jack on the enclosures lid. The two Bi-color LED's are unused as yet, but I think I may use them as power indicators for the 3.3v and 12v BUC converters. I also have a power connector on the left side to connect my 12v power pack that runs the Pi and other stuff that I will get to below shortly.

Next, I figured out how to cram a bunch of stuff into a 230mmx147mmx90mm project box sourced from Amazon.
20201202_132126.jpg

I used a Raspberry Pi 3B with a @Michael Lane Goby Hat. I liked the idea of using a purpose built hat that had most of everything that I needed for my build. As you can see, I mounted the Pi on the top side of the enclosure for easy access to the HDMI and SD card, and so that I could mount the BUC converters on the bottom and the various connectors and @Michael Lane PH board on the bottom. Realizing that the wall thickness was too thick to accommodate the screws for the DB9 connector, I had to fabricate a metal bracket for it as seen at the bottom left of the picture. I have a two port RJ45 board that is currently not used. I had planned to build an external LED driver box and use an Ethernet cable for the PWM but decided to build the LDD drivers into the controller box instead. I guess I may use one of the RJ45's to extend the Ethernet port from the Pi to the outside world to maybe hardwire it to my home network in the future.

LED Driver Board found on Amazon
20201202_132130.jpg

Like I said earlier, I had originally planned to have an external LED driver box to house the LED driver board, but finally decided to build it into the controller enclosure. Fortunately there was enough space in the enclosure lid to mount the driver board without interfering with other stuff in the box. I'm hoping the Mean well LDD1000H drivers don't get too warm, otherwise I'm going to have to revert to the original external driver box plan. Putting the controller into production and time will tell on that subject. Stay tuned......

Connectors, connectors, connectors........
20201202_131919.jpg

No Mechanical Engineering degree here......! I have a reasonably equipped workshop and am lucky to have a drill press that I used to drill the connector holes. For the DB9 and RJ45 connectors i drilled holes and used a Dremel tool with a cutting bit to shape the ABS the best that I could. I used the Aviation connectors for Temp probes and my EHEIM auto feeder. Kudos to @robsworld78 for the smarts on how to hook the EHEIM up to the RPi. I used panel mount power jacks for the LED light channels from the LDD driver board. I put painters tape on the panel and measured and marked for the holes, drill Dremel'd and filed them and then removed the tape. Some of the holes didn't line up during the drilling process and if I build another RPi I'll likely get them lined up better'er. Went a bit crazy with the Dimo label maker.... Label at the bottom left covers a really badly placed hole intended for the power jack. Oops!

The EHEIM is likely only going to be used if I'm away from home for a few days but I thought it would be a good idea to run it via a timer and macro so I can turn off the return pump, skimmer and wave makers while feeding dry food. I'd hate for all that dry food to go down the overflow.....
20201202_132226.jpg

So, it's still on the bench in testing mode and I plan to start hooking it up to my 65Gal display tank in the coming weeks. I will likely use the tank temp probe and have it control one of the heaters in my sump while leaving the second heater running on the remote heater control already in place. I will also hook up my Current USA LED light strips to the RPi at the same time and get used to configuring lighting cycles...

I plan to update the thread soon when I start getting the RPi hooked up to my tank.

Dashboard.PNG

Kudos to many on the Reef-Pi forum for their skill and knowledge and for blazing the trail.... Special Kudos goes to @Ranjib @Michael Lane @robsworld78 and all those who are contributing to the software and hardware development for Reef-Pi. Next phase of the build will cover automation my water making station and automatic water change setup...

Oh! BTW, I upgrade to 4.0 and everything is running nicely. Love the DB export ability.......

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back