Marty's 8' 300g/sump room build. ~750g system

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more progress done. Went to Lowes for what is prob last "large" run and got all drywall/insulation/FRP. Also got a utility sink to put in the room.

Had to park trailer in garage to keep drywall From getting wet...
20190216_193524.jpg

Man I can't wait till this place is cleared out and cleaned up.. I didn't even set things up yet I legit just started building day 1 in the new house!

I finished roughing in the electrical
20190216_231343.jpg

20190216_233247.jpg

Got some drywall and insulation hung tonight too

20190216_230655.jpg

20190217_012629.jpg

Set the door in place to get a real feel for the room
20190217_012903.jpg

This pic makes room look smaller..the insulated wall to the left of the door is 6.5 feet and where frag system will go.
Looking forward to making more progress today!

Nicely moving along!

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank was attempted delivery today... They didn't bring a lift gate truck as requested so we couldn't even get it off truck. It will have to be redelivered tomorrow. Also there is a giant chip out of the top trim.. Not structurally significant in any way but I'm seriously upset still. The tank builder offered me 10% back and I will be speaking with him later to decide what we are going to do. If I were to send it back I'm afraid hed just cut this panel out and put new one in and if that's case I'd rather not have tank go through all that stress..nor do I wanna come more out of pocket as this project is escalating quickly..
20190218_140537.jpg
20190218_140544.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank was attempted delivery today... They didn't bring a lift gate truck as requested so we couldn't even get it off truck. It will have to be redelivered tomorrow. Also there is a giant chip out of the top trim.. Not structurally significant in any way but I'm seriously upset still. The tank builder offered me 10% back and I will be speaking with him later to decide what we are going to do. If I were to send it back I'm afraid hed just cut this panel out and put new one in and if that's case I'd rather not have tank go through all that stress..nor do I wanna come more out of pocket as this project is escalating quickly..
20190218_140537.jpg
20190218_140544.jpg

Man, that really sucks! Hope you get it worked out.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new home...you're not wasting any time for sure! Sorry about the chip in the trim...is that something somebody local can repair/replace? Good luck and liking where this is going.

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new home...you're not wasting any time for sure! Sorry about the chip in the trim...is that something somebody local can repair/replace? Good luck and liking where this is going.
I mean its on the top of the cross brace not even where silicon is so it doesn't affect structural integrity at all.. I'm gonna just glue the chip back in and call it day. Its on back of tank too so you'll never see it. The 10% back was nice to get something back at least...tomorrow we changed it to will call so we are guns go pick it up at the terminal with a van to avoid any further problems. I just want it to the house and on stand so I can finally relax. :(
..and thanks I like where its going too. This is gonna be a massive project and I'm not trying to waste anytime. It will be more than impressive when I'm done I promise!

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, and following along.
I’m in a similar situation, relocated from Ohio to Florida 2 years ago and just bought a house a couple months ago....still unpacking from Ohio move since most stuff was in storage.
Anyway I bought a 300dd and have all needed equipment. My biggest challenge is water changes and ATO reservoir. With no basement and no place behind the tank location I’m looking at plumbing from garage through attic to the tank room. The water supply coming into house is ran that way.
Looking at some options also for the covered patio in rear (or garage) and possibly plumbing underground. I like the challenge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, and following along.
I’m in a similar situation, relocated from Ohio to Florida 2 years ago and just bought a house a couple months ago....still unpacking from Ohio move since most stuff was in storage.
Anyway I bought a 300dd and have all needed equipment. My biggest challenge is water changes and ATO reservoir. With no basement and no place behind the tank location I’m looking at plumbing from garage through attic to the tank room. The water supply coming into house is ran that way.
Looking at some options also for the covered patio in rear (or garage) and possibly plumbing underground. I like the challenge.

There is a guy semi local to me that build a room on back of his house on patio to be equipment room behind his 11ft tank. Its impressive!

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys....ITS HERE! big big shout out to my friends over at Fintastic. They did a great job giving me a hand with this monster of a water box. Very very grateful for them!
20190219_160123.jpg

I've brought 6 large aquariums in this house in the first two weeks I've lived here lol.. My neighbors prolly think I'm the crazy new guy! (Little do they know I actually am :) ) and finally...some pics of the beautiful thing. I can't wait to see it up and running!
20190219_181220.jpg
20190219_181231.jpg
20190219_181237.jpg
20190219_181328.jpg

Feels good to finally "exhale" been a stressful two days... I'm off from work next two days and plan to work non stop on room so I can finally start setting up equipment!

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another big day today! Got three shipments of goodies to finish up my equipment. First the last three of my ocean revives came via fed ex. Then my BRS order came which had.....
20190220_143320.jpg

20190220_143830.jpg

My abyzz return pump! man am I impressed with this thing already. Feels well built, controller also feels solid and wow is this thing tiny. Hard to believe its as powerful as it is. Super excited to fire this baby up!

After that I went to LFS to pick up rest of things I ordered from them.
60"ati t5 fixture for frag system. Also have a 60" reefbrite strip to go with it. Got my skimmer neck cleaner, collection tank, t5 retrofit kits for display and bulbs, carbon Doser for calrx, peristaltic pump, apogee par meter, full apex kit with leak detectors and extra probes and two WAV pumps...there's more but I'm forgetting at the moment... I've literally felt like a little kid on Christmas all day. Extremely grateful :):)
20190220_212141.jpg

20190220_212151.jpg

This corner is completely stuffed with new equipment waiting to get setup.
20190220_215914.jpg

Aside from all that excitement, my buddy and I put in some work on the room to get that closer to completion. We finished the sheetrock, put a coat of mud on and getting ready to lay the FRP board over it tomorrow. After that I can start building stand in room for sump/ 2 90s and then its game time to setup the equipment!
20190220_231413.jpg
20190220_231419.jpg

For any contractors on here, Don't judge the work..lol. I've never hung sheetrock before or done any of this really..just been learning as I go and getting guidance along the way. Just thankful it is getting covered up with panels and not getting "finished"..lol.

I gotta say, I've certainly underestimated the amount of work this is..."oh I'll just build a wall and insulate it and plumb to it and run electrical and do this, do that" and then go to do it and its like OK..this gunna take some time lol. But, I'm learning things and now that tank is here theres no more time limits. feels good to relax a bit.

Tomorrow I am off and would like to get most of FRP up so this weekend I can build stand.

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.. Still on the boring stuff tho :/ BUT I can gladly say I'm done hanging up big sheets of stuff. My girlfriend gave me a hand today and we hung all the FRP up in the room.
20190224_213721.jpg

20190224_213730.jpg

It was a lot of extra money and work to add the FRP but I'm already so glad I did. Its gonna make cleaning sso much easier and help further protect against moisture. Tomorrow I will caulk all the seams and seal it up and then probably get started on one of the side shelves out by the display. Tuesday ill begin building stand in sump room to hold the 125g sump and the 2 90gs up above that. I'm finally at a point where I can work for a while without needing a second set of hands so I'm gonna try and get this thing in high gear. Were going on vacation third week in June and I need this thing running and stable by then! Ik it sounds far away but its not..gonna be at least a few weeks before I can add water I think because I have to build the full cabinetry around tank and paint it..but I'm gonna do as much as I can each day! Hopefully we get to the fun stuff soon!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back