MarvinsReef 90g Clownfish & Anemone Tank...

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear marv. this hobby is so much fun but it can be devasting as well. but if you're like most of us, you'll be back and bigger and better than ever before. good luck on your comeback. looking forward to your next amazing comeback update bro.

CALI DIPPIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picasso clownfish update... the oldest ones are now 18 months old. I have 14 clowns that were from the original batch that I added December 2011. (2) Top Shelf juvi Picasso's were added on April 2012. another (2) Top Shelf juvi Picasso & (1) White eyed Platinum were added on September 2012. The last addition was (1) SA Onyx that was about 2" big in November 2012. they are getting along besides the occasional chasing around when one gets too close to someone's territory.

Picasso Name: BIG MAMA (ORA Premium Picasso)
Current Size: ~3"
Role in hierarchy: the dominant one!

01-28-2013Pic8_zps6783bad8.jpg

Picasso Name: BIG BOY
Current Size: ~2.50"
Role in hierarchy: the dominant male that's always with Big Mama. gets to rule the tank with Big Mama so he's free to roam around anywhere in the tank and any BTA.

01-28-2013Pic7_zpsdae7b4fd.jpg

Picasso Name: ARROW
Current Size: ~1.50"
Role in hierarchy: part of the 4-5 clowns that hang out in the left side of the island, where there's an abundance of BTA's hosting the crew. strictly almost hang out on the left side of the tank, unless it's feeding time.

01-28-2013Pic9_zps547e85bb.jpg

Picasso Name: HEART
Current Size: ~1.75"
Role in hierarchy: hangs out in the open but also sometimes welcome on the left island as long as he doesn't get too close to Big Mama and Big Boy's BTA (6"-8" big). free to roam around the tank and does his share of chasing the smaller guys.

01-28-2013Pic6_zpsffcd1479.jpg

Picasso Name: GLADIATOR
Current Size: ~2"
Role in hierarchy: hangs out in the middle island with 2-3 other clowns. free to roam around the tank and does his share of chasing the smaller guys.

01-28-2013Pic5_zps69a79b05.jpg

Picasso Name: JAGGED
Current Size: ~1.75"
Role in hierarchy: mostly hangs out in the open but very opportunistic when given the chance to hang out in any BTA.

01-28-2013Pic3_zpse77ce3ce.jpg

Picasso Name: GOLDIE
Current Size: ~2"
Role in hierarchy: mostly hangs out in the open. although one of the bigger guys, he's also the new guy on the block. he had to fight his way into being part of the crew. the other guy I introduced with him didn't get welcomed by the crew. he's now living in my son's nano and very happy. I think the main reason why these last two had to fight for their spot is because they were older and bigger so the others considered them as threat. the fighting lasted a few days. those days were intense as I only had the lights on when I was home to supervise, just in case.

01-28-2013Pic4_zpsaddfde6d.jpg

hoped you enjoyed this update. I plan on doing this every month with different clowns. each clown will be featured at least every 3 months. :bigsmile:

Beautiful clowns!!! Where did you get them?!

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all .. tremendous thread and def my motivation to start my own clownfish and anenome only tank (i hope) ... although looking at this, one question I have is, and I believe it to be a legitimate one, is that everything I read is that you can only have one pair of clowns per tank. Yet this amazing and gorgeous setup has more then that. How is this possible and I do hope to gain some better understanding on this.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me too!

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys. the tank is still up but not much going on with it. ever since the tank leak last year, I haven't gotten the "reef" bug to hit me again. almost tore it down before we went on vaca last month, but decided not to since I still have 6 clowns in there (4 hybrids: Picasso x Black Ice parents & 2 Snowflakes). when I QT my remaining fish, things went really south as I kept losing fish left and right. I tried my best to do hypo but I guess that's not enough. I really think that the stress was the main culprit of the demise. a few of my clowns from the original batch are still alive and have already started breeding for a friend of mine. I'm just so happy that I traded some of them to him. hopefully, I'll get back to this again. I probably won't do anything else than a clownfish/anemone tank. I really enjoyed having it while it lasted.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin, Glad to hear some of the original clowns are doing well and that you decided not to tear down the tank. We understand how hard it can be to find your motivation after suffering a catastrophic failure.

We are sorely missing you and your inspirational pics and videos...

-M&T

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin, Glad to hear some of the original clowns are doing well and that you decided not to tear down the tank. We understand how hard it can be to find your motivation after suffering a catastrophic failure.

We are sorely missing you and your inspirational pics and videos...

-M&T
Thanks M&T. I'm living vicariously through your tank and the others I've spent a lot time following through the years. :)

Glad to hear the tank is still up.How are all of the Nems doing?
got rid of them as well. my tank literally gets an hour or photoperiod, just enough for the clowns to get fed. I don't have a lot of time to scrape algae and such atm. just doing top off every week. I'm looking forward to hittin' yah up for a Sunburst when the time comes. keep her happy and splitting. :)

Sorry about the troubles Marvin... you've always been an inspiration in my nem and clownfish keeping.. hope all is well
Thank you. and no worries. kinda enjoying the extra time for now and exploring different things. ie: running and working out more. trust me, I'll be back sooner or later. still have saltwater in my veins. haha...

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you introduce so many clowns in the same tank? I am setting a 105 gal and have an existing pair of black ice and would like at least another pair of hybrids. Any tips on how to introduce them?

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you'll catch the bug again. You put in a nice word when my tank was in the crapper so I wanted to return the favor. Hope to see you back at some point! :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back