Master Reef Tank Pollutants for good. Are we polluting our tanks in ways we may not have realized?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part II of the Mastering Reef Tank Chemistry mini-series is all about tank pollutants.

It's time to put more thought into the longer term effects of what we put in our tanks and what might be killing our corals years down the road. Consideration into what you put into your tank today may have benefits for the success of your tank multiple years from now!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought up a similar question a while back. Hoping you guys still have this on your list of tests to run.
Interested to see what this video brings.

U

User1

View Badges
I brought up a similar question a while back. Hoping you guys still have this on your list of tests to run.
Interested to see what this video brings.

Interesting the question was "bring into" rather than "filtering out".

U

User1

View Badges
Part II of the Mastering Reef Tank Chemistry mini-series is all about tank pollutants.

It's time to put more thought into the longer term effects of what we put in our tanks and what might be killing our corals years down the road. Consideration into what you put into your tank today may have benefits for the success of your tank multiple years from now!

Thanks for posting. Will be sure to check it out after I finish a few things here at work. Hope all is well!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks, and pads, remove things from the water that could otherwise be a food source for animals.
Right, but my thread linked above, is a discussion on filter socks bringing in pollutants such as copper or detergents from washing them with tap water or using a washing machine, which could build up and cause issues further on down the road. Similar to what I assume they're going to discuss in the video when it airs.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but my thread linked above, is a discussion on filter socks bringing in pollutants such as copper or detergents from washing them with tap water or using a washing machine, which could build up and cause issues further on down the road. Similar to what I assume they're going to discuss in the video when it airs.

I prefer filer floss for that reason. pick it up, throw it out, put new one in.

U

User1

View Badges

Ah, got it. Washing vs. use. :D

Clearly if there was a camp you know which one I would be in. Don't use.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that one test is a tank whose owner performs no water changes, no real carbon or resin removal material and only uses top off water and the occasional salt water to replace if something’s been maintenanced etc. compare this tank to a similar one where filter media is used, water is changed etc. not perfect, but may be interesting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back