OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing a little online ordering from BRS. There is a lot more to come.
1594837438733.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have made a mistake. I ordered the sump(Triton44-v2), that I found earlier for the 200 gallons. However, when I went and looked at the site and it states it only supports up to 200 gallons, and I'm now getting a 315 gallon. Do you guys think I should send it back and order something else?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime, I made a little bit of progress on the water storage containers. I'm not sure why I felt the need to put it on a platform. However, I had plenty of wood in the garage. The RODI container will go on a shelf above this one. I will put the pump on the side out of the way.

IMG_0188.jpg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always felt it was nice to have the saltwater storage tank raised a bit so I could open a spigot and get some water without having to turn on pump and multiple valves. It would probably need to be raised a bit more than how you have it now to get that functionality.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have made a mistake. I ordered the sump(Triton44-v2), that I found earlier for the 200 gallons. However, when I went and looked at the site and it states it only supports up to 200 gallons, and I'm now getting a 315 gallon. Do you guys think I should send it back and order something else?
Technically that’s if you want to follow the triton method to the letter. Triton sumps are supposed to have the refugium volume as 10% of DT volume. That’s how they are rated. Refugium volume is not as important how flow and lighting through the fuge IMO. If I were you would I would keep the same sump since you already have it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically that’s if you want to follow the triton method to the letter. Triton sumps are supposed to have the refugium volume as 10% of DT volume. That’s how they are rated. Refugium volume is not as important how flow and lighting through the fuge IMO. If I were you would I would keep the same sump since you already have it.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I think it is big enough for the filtration, I think my only concern is if the power goes out, am I going to be relying on a check valve.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always felt it was nice to have the saltwater storage tank raised a bit so I could open a spigot and get some water without having to turn on pump and multiple valves. It would probably need to be raised a bit more than how you have it now to get that functionality.

You know I didn't even think about that. ;Shamefullyembarrased That is a great idea. I may have to come up with something. This is the first time I have done a mixing station like this. I'm more accustomed to a brute trashcan. LOL.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your feedback. I think it is big enough for the filtration, I think my only concern is if the power goes out, am I going to be relying on a check valve.
I think you'll be fine in that regard too, even without the check valve. Lots of debate about check valves. Try it first without one. Keep your return loc line (or whatever you use) high, or drill an antisiphon hole. Keep your return level low by placing the ATO sensor lower, and I bet you'll have plenty of room to spare.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, already a slight change in plans. I'm going to go with the Red Dragon 3 Speedy Pump 100 Watt for the return pump. Which also got me thinking about using their skimmer as well. I just want something that is reliable, and I don't have to spend a great deal of time worrying about it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also decided I'm going to go with the XR15's. That way, I have more control over the different areas of the tank. I think should I have more of a mixed reef, having the ability to change the amount of light in different sections of the tank could prove useful.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have made a mistake. I ordered the sump(Triton44-v2) that I found earlier for the 200 gallons. However, when I went and looked at the site and it states it only supports up to 200 gallons, and I'm now getting a 315 gallon. Do you guys think I should send it back and order something else?
I have an email out to the vendor in regards to the size. There is no question about its ability to handle the filtration, I'm more concerned about it overflowing should a power outage occur.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing your build! Can't wait to see how things progress!

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Calculate how much water will go to the sump from the dt in a power outage and calculate your sump's capacity to handle that much extra water than it's normal level. That will answer your question about keeping the sump.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Calculate how much water will go to the sump from the dt in a power outage and calculate your sump's capacity to handle that much extra water than it's the normal level. That will answer your question about keeping the sump.

Thanks, I wouldn't even know where to start, fluid dynamics isn't one of my strong suits. I was going to fill up the tank turn on the pumps let it run for a while and then turn off the pump to see what happens. LOL.
I heard back from the vendor, and they stated there should be no problem. I feel reasonable confidant I'm not going to have an overflow on my hands if the power goes out.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about the mixing station. I don't really like the look of all the pipes. So I was thinking about just sticking two Maspect Gyre in there and letting them do the work of mixing. And i have a neptune DOS to get the water to the tank. In the event I need to get more water. I can just drop in a submerable pump, and pump water through a hose of some sort. Can you all think of something I'm missing?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about the mixing station. I don't really like the look of all the pipes. So I was thinking about just sticking two Maspect Gyre in there and letting them do the work of mixing. And i have a neptune DOS to get the water to the tank. In the event I need to get more water. I can just drop in a submerable pump, and pump water through a hose of some sort. Can you all think of something I'm missing?
I’ve got a powerhead in my mixing station. Started out with a maxijet but wanted more flow. I think two maxspect gyre is way overkill. Just get a jebao or something cheap and have it aimed at the bottom of the mixing station. No need to spend hundreds.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more stuff in the mail
IMG_0198.jpg

Also was looking at the rock I ordered, and I think
IMG_0198.jpg
it's going to work out great. This is of course not all of it. I have a couple more boxes, and I'm sure I will have to order more.
IMG_0199.jpg

In addition, there is a small change in plans, I have decided to go with the Royal Exclusiv Bubble King Supermarin 200 Protein Skimmer. I wanted something that I know will last, and always get the job done. I'm also going to go with the Royal return pump as well.

Today is an exciting day for me because I made the down payment on the new aquarium. I'm very excited. The only problem is it will take 5 weeks to get here. The wait is torture.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back