OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit more goofing around with the aquascape pictures... It is a bit derivative of @jk_s124 but this is my initial grow-out thought:

SCAPE.jpg

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is being bleached. Cleaned and tested much of the equipment. Most things seem to be running well.

The only one that doesn't work is the pump on the SCA-301 skimmer, the Atman PH1100. It will kick on if you give the needle wheel a manual jump start but that is going to be a losing battle. It is a junk pump so I am not surprised.

I think that I am going to buy the Bubble Magus SP1000 for $65 and see if I can get it to work on this skimmer. I think I will have to raise the skimmer up a bit to fit the pump under but that needed to happen to get the correct water level anyway. If it doesn't work it will be an easy return.

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass drilling tests. First one didn't go super well. I just made water pool with the putty and drilled right into the wood. Lots of chips and cracks.

IMG_20200613_133234.jpg
IMG_20200613_134225.jpg

Second try I made a putty pad under the hole location and cleared the water of debris a few times. Then I sanded the edge a bit. I will be satisfied if the holes in the tank looks like these.

IMG_20200613_140601.jpg
IMG_20200613_140646.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left the RODI running overnight, had a good bit of water on the basement floor. Good thing its trenched and I had more or less finished cleaning/organizing down there. No harm no foul?

I didn't use conditioner on the rocks after bleaching them. Thought after a couple of days in the sun they would be good to go. Nope, they still smell of chlorine. Ordered some Seachem Prime, while I await its arrival the rocks are soaking in tap water with a heater.

Rinsed the Caribsea Dry Argonite Special Grade sand, glad I did that, took a lot of water to clear it up; no need for all that in the tank.

The old 29-gallon tank is set up to be the cycle tank. 15 gallons of saltwater, heater, pump, powerhead. Just need to take care of the rocks and we can get that part of the process moving.

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set a timer on my phone for RODI and will still spill a little bit sometimes

Totally a good idea. The water was coming out of the old filter at such a trickle it didn't even occur to me that it would make more than 15 gallons even overnight.

Got 100gph filter in now though. Will have to time out 5-gallons on the new one so I know for future reference.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left the RODI running overnight, had a good bit of water on the basement floor. Good thing its trenched and I had more or less finished cleaning/organizing down there. No harm no foul?

I didn't use conditioner on the rocks after bleaching them. Thought after a couple of days in the sun they would be good to go. Nope, they still smell of chlorine. Ordered some Seachem Prime, while I await its arrival the rocks are soaking in tap water with a heater.

Rinsed the Caribsea Dry Argonite Special Grade sand, glad I did that, took a lot of water to clear it up; no need for all that in the tank.

The old 29-gallon tank is set up to be the cycle tank. 15 gallons of saltwater, heater, pump, powerhead. Just need to take care of the rocks and we can get that part of the process moving.
Overfilled RODI caontainer many times as well. @count krunk has it right with setting phone timer. Of course I need a timer for me to remember to set a timer. Joking, but not really. I did just install a switch for auto off so hopefully that helps. Super easy.

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overfilled RODI caontainer many times as well. @count krunk has it right with setting phone timer. Of course I need a timer for me to remember to set a timer. Joking, but not really. I did just install a switch for auto off so hopefully that helps. Super easy.

Yeah, when I have a larger system than 15-gallons I will certainly be setting up something more automated. My wife would probably be into a drinking water system as well so I like your set-up.

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you bought good adhesive when the package and warnings look like this:

Adhesive.jpg

I can now actually build things (this is for the overflows made of ABS)! I hope I bought enough, it is expensive so I didn't get much.

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would do the obligatory equipment/stocking list now that I think I know what it will be:

Equipment:

DT:
Mr. Aqua 7.5-gallon cube, 12"x12"x12", DIY drilled for three 1/2" bulkheads
Sump: Aqueon 10-gallon, 19"x10"x12", with DIY 1/8" thick ABS baffles, Lord 7550 A/C Adhesive and Dow 995 Silicone
Overflows: DIY using 1/8" thick ABS plastic and Lord 7550 A/C Adhesive
Media Basket: DIY using 1/8" ABS plastic and Lord 7550 A/C Adhesive
Return Pump: Eheim Universal 600
Powerhead: Jaebo WP-10
Light: Reef Radiance Nano 60
Light Bracket: Custom, stainless steel
Fuge Light: Clamp work light with daylight flood bulb
Skimmer: SC Aquariums SCA-301 with replacement Bubble Magus SP1000 skimmer pump
Heater: Hygger 100 watt w/controller
Rock: Dry, from a previous build, bleach cured
Sand: Caribsea Dry Argonite Special Grade, 15 lbs
ATO: DIY wired limit switches and container
Stand: DIY, tbd

Livestock (Plan only, will update):

CUC, Macro Algae, Pods:
SurfZone Live Sand Activator Plus
- Indo-Pacific Sea Farms
Fuge Startup kit - Indo-Pacific Sea Farms

Fish:
Clown Goby
, Green (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
Pink-Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)
Panamic Barnacle Blenny (Acanthemblemaria hancocki)
Wheeler's Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris wheeleri)

Coral:
TBD
, see post 21: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/7-5-nano-cube-build-dreaming-of-a-big-restart.726982/post-7584576

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had a pump that I could use for an ATO pump, but no dice. So I bought a DC pump (Aquastation DC3000, 792gph, $43) for the return, then I can use the old return for the ATO. The new pump should also let me take the powerhead out of the display.

Need a few things to properly tool the ABS (new miter gauge and saw blade for the table saw), so the overflows and sump are on hold for the moment.

Made a jig and set up the tank to be drilled, that should happen any day.

Tank Drill Layout.jpg

The majority of the rocks and sand are in the cycle tank with ammonia, so the cycle has begun! I need to glue together the DT rock and let the glue cure 72hrs before adding it, hopefully I will have it in by the weekend.

OP
OP
thatsruff

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress has significantly slowed since I have been back at the office full time but here is an update on where I stand:

Basically the delay has been due to me needing to set up my table saw for more precise work. I bought better saw blades for working with plastic and recalibrated the fence. My main problem is that I don't have a chop saw and the miter gauge for this saw is junk. So I am in the process of making one out of wood that should do the job for now. I hope to have it up and running by the end of the weekend so that I can actually cut good parts for the sump and overflow.

I have also been doing plasterwork around the house so that we can paint.

The rock is still in the early phases of cycling so nothing much to report there.

I re-did the rockscape so that it is a little more flexible and gives a bit more placement area in the middle-zone of the tank. That is glued together and cycling with the rest of the rock (bad picture, messy workstation, gotta provide content though). The thing I think that I like the most about this is the rock in the front left, just a cool porous piece.

IMG_20200626_073326.jpg

Also, I got the replacement pump for my skimmer. I still need to test it out but it fits perfectly. For anyone that has bought an SC Aquariums SCA-301 skimmer and had the pump die on them (Amazon reviews suggest many people), I am pretty sure that you can replace that pump with the Bubble Magus SP1000. I will update once I actually test it out.

I think that I have acquired almost everything I need, with the exception of a few plumbing joints and most of the plumbing runs.

The other big outstanding item is what to do about the stand. We are still trying to decide where to put it in the house so I haven't even started designing it. I imagine that will only take a couple of days to get together once we decide how to approach it though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back