Matt's Red Sea Reefer 525xl build.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

I'm about to start an unexpected upgrade;)

The Red Sea Reefer 525xl is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. The room it's going in is not quite finished yet. Going to paint the walls within the next week. I have some friends coming over next weekend to muscle this beast into my basement:)

I have decided on metal halide and led hybrid lighting. The LEDs will be Kessils that I already have. The metal halide will be either 14k Phoenix or 20k radiums, which I also have.

I'm going to order a Deltec 1000ix in 2 weeks from @Battlecorals. I feel like this skimmer will handle the tank well and last for a long time.

I'm going to go with a Sicce return pump. And most likely Vortechs for flow.

I'll be ordering live rock from KPAquatics and Gulf live rock once I have the tank in place.

This will not be fast build at all. Going to take my time with this to make sure I get it right.

Ps,

I would like to thank R2R, everyone that joined the partner member raffle(still can't believe I won this, truly surreal experience), the sponsors for the partner member raffle and everyone else that makes R2R what it is. This really is a fantastic group of people contributing to the hobby. This wouldn't be possible without R2R!

Stay tuned for lots of pics! I'll do my best to describe the process as I go.

I'm also open to any tips or tricks regarding these Red Sea setups;)

Thanks to anyone that follows,

Matt

Updated equipment list:

Return pump- Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0
In tank flow-2x Maxspect XF350 gyres
Skimmer-Deltec SC1455
Heaters-Finnex Titanium 2x300watt
Lighting-Hamilton Caymansun relfector
M80 ballast 250w Radium bulb
Ca reactor-Deltec PF509(not setup yet)

And a fts
20200121_190418.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a bit of an unconventional build thread. I did not expect to win this tank in the partner member raffle. Therefore, I'm kinda scrambling to get stuff together for it. I have a spare metal halide reflector and ballast, and one over my 40 breeder now. So I'll reuse those to light the new tank initially. I also have 2 Kessil 360we that I'll use as well.

I still need to acquire a return pump, skimmer, rock, sand, and heaters. I'll most likely need some plumbing parts as well.

The tank will go on this wall, where the couch is. After I clean up and paint the room of course.
20191111_092621.jpg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good. Just when you do finally bring it in lay the pieces of the furniture out flat and separate to kinda acclimate. I know it sounds weird but going from too cold to warm can cause condensation and in turn warping. The glass should be perfectly fine regardless.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it'll complain too much. :)
Should be good. Just when you do finally bring it in lay the pieces of the furniture out flat and separate to kinda acclimate. I know it sounds weird but going from too cold to warm can cause condensation and in turn warping. The glass should be perfectly fine regardless.

Thanks for helping me feel a bit better about it:)

I have the doors and side panels in the basement already. I'll bring the rest of the stand and the sump in once I get home from work. The tank will have to wait a few days though.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, following along.. a couple note from my 425 build.. hard plumb it from the start, use GOOD gate valves vs Ball valves, ditch the ATO res or you will refill it more than you want to. I use a 15gal plastic food grade drum and it lasts me roughly a week and i keep my house at 74 with leds. the MH are going to cause even more evaporation.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, following along.. a couple note from my 425 build.. hard plumb it from the start, use GOOD gate valves vs Ball valves, ditch the ATO res or you will refill it more than you want to. I use a 15gal plastic food grade drum and it lasts me roughly a week and i keep my house at 74 with leds. the MH are going to cause even more evaporation.

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to check out your build thread. Care to recommend a return pump? So many choices.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the Jaebo 12000 thinking id upgrade to the Abyzz when it was back in stock, Well.... its been back in stock for about 8 months and i cant bring myself to buy it when the jaebo has been very good with no issues for the price. i run a 1" sch 80 manifold system to feed 2 reactors and UV and still i have to throttle the pump back a little or its to much flow with the gyres. ive had cheato go through it, sea lettuce from the fuge and still kept on running like a champ, would i say thats the pump and thats that. no sir but its been a darn good one so far. i have a core 20 i bought in the marketplace used. but its shelved till i might need it.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to give the stand components a couple hours to warm up before I start assembly. The tank itself is still in the garage. Really hope 4 guys are enough to muscle this beast down my basement stairs. I'm starting to have my doubts about that to be honest. Guess I'll find out for sure this Saturday. We might need to come up with a some sort of slide.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so happy for your awesome win! You'll love this tank. I have the XL 425 and it's incredible. Following on your journey. ;Cat

I still can't believe I won this. It's surreal and overwhelming at the same time to be honest. This build wouldn't be possible without R2R.

Thanks for following:)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back