Max tank size for a atlantic pygmy octopus?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that all shallow water cephalopods have a relatively short life. I am fascinated by cuttlefish, but won't get one because, at best, they live about two years. If you chill the tank, you'd be lucky to get your octopus to live a year. Also, you'd never see it while it remains hidden in a hole somewhere.
Yea, but you could feel it while it’s strangling you at night. :D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is IMOO that ocotopus and other cephlapods shouldnt be kept in home aquariums.
I will not even attempt. Some animals require a lot of attention and needs we at home just can not provide im sorry.
Good.luck to any who attempt. I ignored this post this morning but i feel i need to say my peace.
-d

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At poulsbo marine science center we brought in a gpo to fatten up and release for spawning. I fed her several times. Amazing strength. Smart animal indeed. Again. Needs a crew of ppl to take care of. We fed like 6 big crabs 1 time and she ate them all that week. They eat a lot. Lol. The aquarium was like 800gals. Lol. U climbed a latter and fed from the top with big grapplers that were hard to get back from the critter. Lol. She liked to play tug a war. Lol.
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is IMOO that ocotopus and other cephlapods shouldnt be kept in home aquariums.
I will not even attempt. Some animals require a lot of attention and needs we at home just can not provide im sorry.
Good.luck to any who attempt. I ignored this post this morning but i feel i need to say my peace.
-d
I agree 99% of the time but there are some exceptions.

So to the OP, as long as you have done the reading and preparation and understand how much of a commitment most cephlapods are and can dedicate the time money and energy, go for it! Itll be very rewarding and an experience you wont forget.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This animal is for the advanced aquarist. How much experience do you have in the hobby?

That being said, let's not give this guy a difficult time... that isn't what we are about here.

Like many of us, the OP is clearly super-fascinated by the animal and would like to have one.

I would discourage it based on the apparent experience level.

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have like a crazy biotope with everything they need to make a colony and all the right foods you could do it but I wouldn’t do it, cuttlefish are easiest cephalapods to keep in aquariums

Are you talking from experience or is this what your friend told you?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallons is pretty big imo you would never see it so it would be hard to avoid it inking and crashing the tank. Gotta be really careful working on the tank if its near your hand sloooow movements. As far as breeding goes I'm pretty sure octopods would need a special set up they basically float right at the surface. A surface skimmer or overflow would wipe them out

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have like a crazy biotope with everything they need to make a colony and all the right foods you could do it but I wouldn’t do it, cuttlefish are easiest cephalapods to keep in aquariums

again. What do you mean by “colony”? And considering you haven’t set up a single SW tank yet, where are you getting this information?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve read they have their eggs in like deep dark areas where they can’t be predated on
noah please understand that your words will affect financial expenditures of others and the lives of the animals. if you are going to give firm advice please don't make it seem like you are talking from experience, give sources

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
tenor.gif

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the exact book, I know that squids spawn that way for sure, planet earth talks about it
octopus arent squid, although many things are the same, unless you can pinpoint a paper saying that "X" squid attribute applies to octopus, you cant say it

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t viable to keep them outside of a system where they don’t breed because you are gonna be replacing them every year and you might not even know they die because they are so hard to find so having a group that breeds is a more cost effective option

.....you know this how exactly?
Everything I’ve read about keeping octopuses states that the majority of species available in aquaria are loners, fiercely territorial, etc. beyond that, in the wild, octopuses are solitary

Also, we’re not entirely sure how they breed. Which means it’s not currently reproducible in aquaria

Why do you insist on throwing out false information to people?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....you know this how exactly?
Everything I’ve read about keeping octopuses states that the majority of species available in aquaria are loners, fiercely territorial, etc. beyond that, in the wild, octopuses are solitary

Also, we’re not entirely sure how they breed. Which means it’s not currently reproducible in aquaria

Why do you insist on throwing out false information to people?
exactly. cuttlefish are in communities in public aquariums. have you (or your friend) ever seen octopus interacting w each other positively in an aquarium

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend breeds cuttlefish

cuttlefish are not octopuses. And who is your friend? Could you get them on R2R to share their “expertise”?

didn’t you mention in one of your threads that you don’t have any friends that are interested in this hobby?

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have a really good idea actually, what if you made a divider then like once every 6 months opened it to let a pair breed if you can sex them

again. Based upon current scientific understanding, they would kill eachother. Octopuses aren’t social.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back