Max tank size for a atlantic pygmy octopus?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is true. You keep the colony then when they reach breeding age they spawn then die then the next generation populates the tank

again, they would kill eachother.

stop throwing out false info. There are people who will read this kind of nonesense, follow it, lose money in wasted gear and livestock, and more importantly, inadvertently kill the living things in their care.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am almost convinced Noah is not who he claims to be. There is no way that this amount of misinformation can be accidental, He is playing with us.

@Peace River Maybe something needs to be done to stop this person from dragging the whole forum down. This has gone on long enough.

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the OP question, I wouldn't go any larger than 30 gal, about 10 gal would probably be ideal.
That being said, I personally wouldn't waste my time with a pygmy octopus, they sound cool, but the reality rarely lives up to the idea.
If your going to invest the time and money into a species only set up, there are far better options that are more interactive and live longer.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I didn’t know that octopuses were that solitary of animals, I was making assumptions about them based on what I know about other cephalopods. No need to keep gaslighting me. If you want to be condescending to me then you get ignored form now on. I will do what I want and I will do it right

No one is gaslighting you my guy, that’s not what gaslighting means. There’s a difference between being condescending and being told that what you’re saying is wrong and not good advice.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I didn’t know that octopuses were that solitary of animals, I was making assumptions about them based on what I know about other cephalopods. No need to keep gaslighting me. If you want to be condescending to me then you get ignored form now on. I will do what I want and I will do it right
noah, please find the "condecending" and quote it

as he said, people telling you are wrong is nothing more than that

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the OP question, I wouldn't go any larger than 30 gal, about 10 gal would probably be ideal.
That being said, I personally wouldn't waste my time with a pygmy octopus, they sound cool, but the reality rarely lives up to the idea.
If your going to invest the time and money into a species only set up, there are far better options that are more interactive and live longer.
Well in this indtance what sort of species only set up do you reccomend in a 55 gal

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was recently a documentary on Netflix about octopus

I’ve always found them to be interesting creatures .
but I don’t think I’d ever put the time to try keeping any ..

Blue ring is probably the nicest looking .
But one bite can be fatal .
Do they or have they come up with a anti venom yet ?

Attachments

• DFB49197-0C70-4FD0-9870-26307C216B7A.png
    DFB49197-0C70-4FD0-9870-26307C216B7A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 65

Back to the salt~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an Atlantic pygmy a little over a month ago; initially he only came out when it was pitch black in the house but after a few weeks hes more visible during the day; they tend to go into a sleep state during the day where there eyes become slits;

my guy(Oscar) eats crabs And snails like its his job; in fact now I can simply drop one in front of where hes hunkered down and he will immed reach out and grab it once he sees it move; these are fascinating creatures!

he is in a 32 Bio cub part reef with 4 fish; he did eat one fish early on...small neon blue goby but has since left the others alone and eats **** load of crabs and snails

Back to the salt~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an Atlantic Pygmy a little over a month ago; Initially he hid during during the day but little by little hes been more visible. He started eating right away when I put him in and loves hermits and snails. He eats ALOT of them and in fact now I can simply out one in front of where hes hiding and with seconds hes reaching out. They are fascinating creatures; they actually go into a sleeping state when they arent hunting; if you look closely youll see their eyes become just slits until they are awake.
I have a 32 Bio cube partial reef with about 30lbs of live rock and 4fish; he did eat my small neon goby early on but seems to be content with hermits and snails ; I keep it stocked.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Oscar 2.jpg
    Oscar 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 46

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had olive for about a month and a half now. The best time to get any octo is in the fall so they’re near the beginning of the life span. You can see his/her journal on tonmo.com although I haven’t updated recently
59479913-CEAA-4162-903D-C179987DF21B.png
BCEF71B6-17FD-4B7C-A968-2092FE0CD37D.jpeg

Back to the salt~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the opening phases of researching a potential pygmy atlantic octopus purchase- i have a empty 55 gal tank and i was wondering if that would be too large for it. I wouldent put anything else in the tank. And also wondering if id need to put lights on the aquarium before i got it
Did you ever wind up getting a Pygmy octopus?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back