MaxiJets on a wavemaker

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using MaxiJet 1200s on Natural Wave wavemakers very successfully. They are the most reliable powerheads I have found for wavemakers. Very infrequently I have to replace an impeller but not very often and the bodies last almost forever. I've got a couple that have been in continuous use for 10 years.

About 8 or 10 months ago I tried the SureFlow 1600 propeller mods for them and really like them. The biggest problem is that the inpeller shaft has a spline that shears off after a couple of months. Not long ago I noticed that MaxiJet now has a "Pro" model that comes with it's own propeller option. I have three of them and I can't keep any of them running for a whole day on a wavemaker. They fail to start unless you take them apart and reassemble them or maybe just give it a good smack.

Another bad thing is that they have changed them slightly so the SureFlow part will no longer fit.

Has anyone else had problems with this powerhead? What propeller powerheads are you using successfuly with wavemakers?

Thanx
H@rry

Last edited:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely HATE the new MJ Pro. MJ1200s, with the Sureflow Mod kit, on a SureGrip magnet mount were INCREDIBLE!! I loved them and still have some that have been in use for 5 years!

Maxijet's own version sucks! The shroud works its way loose and falls off, they don't re-start, without tinkering with them and I don't believe they put out the flow that the Sureflow Mod kits did!

As for a wavemaker, I highly doubt they'll work. With the Sureflow Mod kits they wouldn't work on a wavemaker because they'd try to restart in reverse. I'd imagine that'll still be an issue.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a MJ1200 Pro which sucks. Its banned to keeping my top off water moving. When I turn on it clicks loud for about 10 seconds until it gets going.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Marineland came out with a product to put a halt to the SureFlow mod (good idea) but failed to do their testing prior to release (bad idea).

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Marineland came out with a product to put a halt to the SureFlow mod (good idea) but failed to do their testing prior to release (bad idea).

Exactly! Although, if they're going to modify their own product, which as you said, is a great idea, from a marketing stand point, they should also develop their own magnetic mounting system. Putting their modded Maxijets, in a tank, with their 3 suction cup mounting system, is a disaster waiting to happen! lol

Luckily, their modification still works with the SureGrip magnets!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back