Maxima Clam Hanging on Edge of Rock

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3.5" blue Maxima clam and it has been in the tank for about 3 weeks. I started it on the sand bed and then slowly moved it up the rockwork to see where it would seem happiest. It opened up the widest and looked best on a rock ledge near the top, so I let it sit there for a few days. It quickly attached it's foot to the rock (it hadn't done this anywhere else that I put it). After about a few more days, it started turning itself around, then it started making it's way over the rock ledge, and it has been hanging in this precarious position for about 48 hours without any signs of movement. Mantle is closed a bit more, and it doesn't look very happy. But I don't want to damage the foot by trying to move it. Should I just leave it alone, even though the mantle isn't getting much light? Or should I try to move it?

20200104_111101.jpg 20200104_111123.jpg 20200104_111114.jpg

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the weight of it pulling on it's threads should cause it to release. In doing so though, it could cause it to stress when it falls and hits the substrate. If that should happen, make sure it's facing upward and leave it alone until it settles and starts to expand it's mantle fully. Stress is one of the major killer of clams. They surely do not take well to it...bsa

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way you can prop him back up without tearing the threads?
I had one do exactly the same, but I was able to put him back where he came from, thenI used some exposure to build a little retaining wall and he has never fallen again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Place a large cup under the clam. When it does release, it will fall into cup rather than tumbling down the rocks

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way you can prop him back up without tearing the threads?
I had one do exactly the same, but I was able to put him back where he came from, thenI used some exposure to build a little retaining wall and he has never fallen again.

Not really. If I try to rotate it around, I'm worried that the foot will tear. He's got a good grip on the ledge there.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take razor you can cut the byssal threads. Cut as close to the rocks as you can and then relocate the clam on a moveable rock so it can be easier to move around the aquarium if needed.

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to wait another day to see if he'd let go of the rock on his own. He didn't, and he was hanging almost upside down, so I decided to try cutting the threads. It was a little tricky, but I cut them as close the the rock as possible. I put him on a small piece of Rock in hopes that he'll latch on to that instead of a big rock. It's looking better already. Hopefully I didn't do too much damage or cause too much stress. We'll see! Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
N

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be doing well. I can't tell whether it has re-attached to the new piece of rock that I put it on, but it's opening fully and the color is coming back from it's previously faded state. I'll try to post a pick tonight when I get home from work.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be doing well. I can't tell whether it has re-attached to the new piece of rock that I put it on, but it's opening fully and the color is coming back from it's previously faded state. I'll try to post a pick tonight when I get home from work.

Looking forward to seeing it!

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks awesome - fully extended and gorgeous colors! Happy for you! It's always tricky cutting the threads - I have done it once or twice but not in the precarious position yours was in. Great job...bsa

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back