Maxima's 1 year anniversary in tank today

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased these two maxima's a year ago today. I had been considering a clam for a few months but had not pulled the trigger. While at the LFS to get salt, I saw they had gotten in several large maxima's a few days previously. All were 5 - 5.5 inches. They were reputed to be Tonga aquacultured. They seem large for that but I couldn't resist, especially with the price. The one on the left was about half an inch smaller than the one on the right. The one on the right has grown just under a half inch during the year whereas the one on the left has grown about three-quarters inch. Both of them are a tiny bit under 6 inches. They are on the bottom with PAR at 150. When I got them I put them higher but they kept jumping downward so they have been on the bottom for the past 51 weeks. I am extremely pleased with them although their shells are factories for aiptasia and worms - you can see several worm tubes on the side of the clam on the left. I scrape the shells every couple of months and now see few new aiptasia but the worms are quite prolific. I have always admired clams when I've seen them but have not kept one in my 55 years of keeping salt water tanks until I got these. Sorry for the reddish cast on parts of the mantles, it is reflected light from freshwater tanks across from this one.

Clams 1 year 2019Nov3 1600 size.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back