Maxing out 20-gallon Long QT

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is almost 30-days away from being being fallow for 76-days after what may have been a marine velvet outbreak in a new display tank. I setup a 20-gallon Long QT tank which I plan to treat new fish precautionary this time around. In the QT I already have a Foxface (this fish survived the parasite outbreak and my LFS put it in their QT with copper while I setup my QT) and 2-small clownfish.

The 20-gallon Long QT I setup cycled for a full 30-days before I added the Foxface, 2-weeks ago. So the QT is about 45-days since I added bottled bacteria and ammonia to start the cycle. For biological surface area it has a HOB filter rated for up to 30-gallons and I took the mechanical and carbon filter out of the HOB filter and stuffed in as many Bio-Balls that I could fit in that chamber. It also has maybe 1/2-pound of dry rock I put in there for fish to hide behind and it has it's own biological area to grow nitrifying bacteria built inside the HOB.

I added the 2x clownfish 2-days ago.

I should mention the Nitrites never bottomed out. In fact before I added the clownfish, the nitrites went up even higher than they were a few weeks ago. I'm talking like 2ppm, but that is API kit. With that said, there is plenty of trusted information I came across which says that nitrItes are not toxic to fish. Ammonia is 0.

The 3-fish I have in there now are:
- FoxFace (medium size about 4")
- 2x ocellaris clownfish (small)

Am I maxed out on fish or can I add in something like a Royal Gramma before I start the 30-days of CopperSafe?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Safe to add to quarantine and assure display tank is fallow

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is almost 30-days away from being being fallow for 76-days after what may have been a marine velvet outbreak in a new display tank. I setup a 20-gallon Long QT tank which I plan to treat new fish precautionary this time around. In the QT I already have a Foxface (this fish survived the parasite outbreak and my LFS put it in their QT with copper while I setup my QT) and 2-small clownfish.

The 20-gallon Long QT I setup cycled for a full 30-days before I added the Foxface, 2-weeks ago. So the QT is about 45-days since I added bottled bacteria and ammonia to start the cycle. For biological surface area it has a HOB filter rated for up to 30-gallons and I took the mechanical and carbon filter out of the HOB filter and stuffed in as many Bio-Balls that I could fit in that chamber. It also has maybe 1/2-pound of dry rock I put in there for fish to hide behind and it has it's own biological area to grow nitrifying bacteria built inside the HOB.

I added the 2x clownfish 2-days ago.

I should mention the Nitrites never bottomed out. In fact before I added the clownfish, the nitrites went up even higher than they were a few weeks ago. I'm talking like 2ppm, but that is API kit. With that said, there is plenty of trusted information I came across which says that nitrItes are not toxic to fish. Ammonia is 0.

The 3-fish I have in there now are:
- FoxFace (medium size about 4")
- 2x ocellaris clownfish (small)

Am I maxed out on fish or can I add in something like a Royal Gramma before I start the 30-days of CopperSafe?

While 2 ppm nitrites are not toxic at all to marine fish, it does indicate a "stuck cycle" or an issue with the test kit. Are you also using an API kit for ammonia? I'm not happy with the readability of those.....

Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20G (long) for my QT tank too. I've had up to 5 fish in it before for 76+ days.
I have 4 fish in in going through QT right now. (2) anthias, a flasher wrasse, and a damsel.

If the tank is cycled, I don't think you will have any issues. 45 days should be plenty.

Keep the tank clear of uneaten food and expelled waste and you will be fine.

I often cycle my QT tank with fish in it, after a break down/bleaching. When doing that, regular water changes are paramount, but if the tank is already cycled, you just need to keep it clean and keep up the water quality via water changes and med changes.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While 2 ppm nitrites are not toxic at all to marine fish, it does indicate a "stuck cycle" or an issue with the test kit. Are you also using an API kit for ammonia? I'm not happy with the readability of those.....

Jay
Yeah, both the ammonia and nitrite kits are API.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider that the bioballs are not going to add a lot of surface area. Also the rock may make copper dosing more difficult. I don't think you're overstocking the tank.. Many people do not even cycle the QT tank - but instead use a Seachem free ammonia alert badge - and with any change - add fresh water.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider that the bioballs are not going to add a lot of surface area. Also the rock may make copper dosing more difficult. I don't think you're overstocking the tank.. Many people do not even cycle the QT tank - but instead use a Seachem free ammonia alert badge - and with any change - add fresh water.
You think the rocks will absorb the copper? I don’t have many in there. I think most of the bio-balls being submerged would be keeping them from full potential. This filter does have the blue plastic thing in the picture for bacteria to grow as well. After reading @Jay Hemdal post above I decided to test ammonia again and it did go up a bit after adding the clowns a couple days ago. Plus I started feeding heavier. On the API I’m now between 0 to 0.25, which isn’t too bad for hardy fish. However, I’ll look into getting something to lower ammonia if it creeps up anymore. And because of this new info, I think I’ll hold off on the royal gramma until the cycle catches up.

Attachments

• 6BE2D615-A07C-416B-8DA6-7B17B225E75B.jpeg
    6BE2D615-A07C-416B-8DA6-7B17B225E75B.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 5E9BD704-2F9C-4FBB-BCAB-02401133D817.jpeg
    5E9BD704-2F9C-4FBB-BCAB-02401133D817.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 31

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You think the rocks will absorb the copper? I don’t have many in there. I think most of the bio-balls being submerged would be keeping them from full potential. This filter does have the blue plastic thing in the picture for bacteria to grow as well. After reading @Jay Hemdal post above I decided to test ammonia again and it did go up a bit after adding the clowns a couple days ago. Plus I started feeding heavier. On the API I’m now between 0 to 0.25, which isn’t too bad for hardy fish. However, I’ll look into getting something to lower ammonia if it creeps up anymore. And because of this new info, I think I’ll hold off on the royal gramma until the cycle catches up.
I said adding rock will make it more difficult

Back