Maxspect gyre fx350 creating vortex

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I have a Rs 525xl. I have both gyres on opposite ends. Currently only running both alternating mode at 40% random flow. Anyone have an good suggestion which flow i should use to stop them from creating vortexs? Should i have both gyres flowing at the waterline? Or one higher one lower. Please help. The pic is to show the rockscape i have

20210711_151942.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the type of flow so much as the height and position. You’ll need to lower them both and point the directors more downwards. Trial and error until you get it right.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the type of flow so much as the height and position. You’ll need to lower them both and point the directors more downwards. Trial and error until you get it right.
But i thought flow at the surface level was better for oxygenation?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. You can still have it at the surface but you need to find the happy place where the vortex doesn’t happen. I have mine about 2” down from the top of the tank, have my directors angled a bit down and go with the anti synchronized gradual pulsing. No vortex and a nice back and forth sway of the corals.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. You can still have it at the surface but you need to find the happy place where the vortex doesn’t happen. I have mine about 2” down from the top of the tank, have my directors angled a bit down and go with the anti synchronized gradual pulsing. No vortex and a nice back and forth sway of the corals.
How much percentage are you using?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, start low, work your way up if you need more. I have another 2 placed vertically to gen flow on the backside as well.

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean a vortex at the surface above each pump or that it’s creating a vortex where the flow from the two meet in the middle of the tank?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean a vortex at the surface above each pump or that it’s creating a vortex where the flow from the two meet in the middle of the tank?
I was actually wondering the same, after posting.
Maybe I should start a new thread on this.
I hate how they collide in the middle of the tank, so flow comes from the top down.
They give plenty of flow, but hard to get something you like.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually wondering the same, after posting.
Maybe I should start a new thread on this.
I hate how they collide in the middle of the tank, so flow comes from the top down.
They give plenty of flow, but hard to get something you like.
Yea i had a vortex in the middle but just angled one side lower than the other so they didnt dirrctly hit each other

Back