Maxspect Gyre XF 330 placement?

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Peninsula 500 new owner question. I am setting up my tank now. I have a Maxspect Gyre XF 330 - what will be the best placement for this? Horizontally on the weir about 2 inches below the water surface? Will I need a powerhead on the opposite end of the tank to assure optimum flow? The tank measures 48" long and is 24" wide and 24" deep.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought mounting the gyre in the vertical plane at the back, either side of the weir would be your best option on a peninsula

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've had several suggest that I place vertically. I guess I'll find out if one will be enough or if I'll need another on the other side as well. Thanks!

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watched the BRS video on flow?
I too am going for a peninsula tank and have gone with the dual XF330 with a view to having them in this orinantation. I intend on running them at varying flow percentages to change the point of turbulence in the tank.
The theory is to have the direct flow going along the sides of the tank, then flow will return down the middle over the aquascape and corals.
I will have to test this theory when I get setup, but you should be able to get a good gyre flow pattern with just one XF330.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watched the BRS video on flow?
I too am going for a peninsula tank and have gone with the dual XF330 with a view to having them in this orinantation. I intend on running them at varying flow percentages to change the point of turbulence in the tank.
The theory is to have the direct flow going along the sides of the tank, then flow will return down the middle over the aquascape and corals.
I will have to test this theory when I get setup, but you should be able to get a good gyre flow pattern with just one XF330.

Thanks for the video, very interesting!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back