Maxspect Gyre XF-330 / XF-330 motor doors upgrade

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share something I came across. I love the flow pattern created by my Gyre's but I HATE cleaning them. Even after a citric acid bath disasemblling all the fiddly bits, brushing them down and then reassebling is a total pain in the butt! Worse almost without fail when I put them back in the tank they are LOUDER then before I cleaned them! Yes the flow strength is restored, but it kills me that after all the effort putting into cleaning them they're louder than when I started.

Usually after a few days to a week they calm back down. However this most recent time they were so loud it was vibrating the cabinet. I could hear them running from the other room as I walked down the stairs. While I was searching for a deal on MP40's to replace them I stumbled across the below. It appears Maxspect has found a problem with the original motor doors and released an "upgraded" version. I ordered a set and it has quieted my 330's down significantly! There is still a slight hum but I can no longer feel them vibrating through the glass.

I'm sure many Gyre owners would benefit so do check it out!

1628780204221.png

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share something I came across. I love the flow pattern created by my Gyre's but I HATE cleaning them. Even after a citric acid bath disasemblling all the fiddly bits, brushing them down and then reassebling is a total pain in the butt! Worse almost without fail when I put them back in the tank they are LOUDER then before I cleaned them! Yes the flow strength is restored, but it kills me that after all the effort putting into cleaning them they're louder than when I started.

Usually after a few days to a week they calm back down. However this most recent time they were so loud it was vibrating the cabinet. I could hear them running from the other room as I walked down the stairs. While I was searching for a deal on MP40's to replace them I stumbled across the below. It appears Maxspect has found a problem with the original motor doors and released an "upgraded" version. I ordered a set and it has quieted my 330's down significantly! There is still a slight hum but I can no longer feel them vibrating through the glass.

I'm sure many Gyre owners would benefit so do check it out!

1628780204221.png
Thank you

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.
How did you find about the upgrade? Are they different from the ones you had originally?
Or are they just replacement parts?

Thanks

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @KimG !

I stumbled across them on eBay merely by chance. The seller that had them advertised them as "new upgraded motor doors". I did a lot of searching and I can't find anything official from Maxspect saying they changed them. However when they arrived it was clear the silicone gasket on the new ones is much beefier, ensuring a better seal and quieter operation.

They're definitely made by Maxspect, and they're definitely different. My best guess is Maxspect made the improvement for all replacement parts but never wanted to publicly come out and say they made a mistake in their design on the motor door. That would mean a flood of people asking for free replacements.

Either way, they really did stop me from going to Vortechs. Like I said in my original post I was actually shopping for Vortechs to replace my Gyres when I found this part. Cleaning is still a bear, but now they are significantly quieter!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back