Maxspect Gyre XF350 / XF300-C controller ramp time FW bug

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a ticket in with Coralvue, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Here'swhat I put in the ticket:

"In alternating gyre mode, if ramp time is set to 1 minute, the gyres immediately switch to the maximum/minimum power set by the user, but do not ramp. Ramp does work properly for the other ramp intervals ie. 40s, 30s, 10s, etc.

Configuration:
1) Two XF350's, Pump A Alt Gyre, pump B anti-sync
2) XF300-C v2.4
3) ICV6 v2.1
4) SYNA-G v1.4.8"

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put a ticket in with Coralvue, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Here'swhat I put in the ticket:

"In alternating gyre mode, if ramp time is set to 1 minute, the gyres immediately switch to the maximum/minimum power set by the user, but do not ramp. Ramp does work properly for the other ramp intervals ie. 40s, 30s, 10s, etc.

Configuration:
1) Two XF350's, Pump A Alt Gyre, pump B anti-sync
2) XF300-C v2.4
3) ICV6 v2.1
4) SYNA-G v1.4.8"
When you look at other threads that discuss this - there seems to be some programming issue. Unfortunately - I'm not near my tank - to see my settings - but I have exactly the same pumps. And I have them set to ramp randomly from 0 - 100 percent alternating. And it works fine. My impression (unless there is indeed a problem with your model) - is that setting the 2 pumps differently may be the issue. That said - if it works with the other intervals - I would tend to just use one of those (i.e. there's nothing sacred about a minute).

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you look at other threads that discuss this - there seems to be some programming issue. Unfortunately - I'm not near my tank - to see my settings - but I have exactly the same pumps. And I have them set to ramp randomly from 0 - 100 percent alternating. And it works fine. My impression (unless there is indeed a problem with your model) - is that setting the 2 pumps differently may be the issue. That said - if it works with the other intervals - I would tend to just use one of those (i.e. there's nothing sacred about a minute).
Glad it's working to your satisfaction, BUT, with many folks complaining about borked features that are not working as advertised, the decent thing to do would be to fix the issue(s).

And I would bet if you set the following config, with the same HW and FW versions I outlined in the ticket, you would see the same erroneous behavior:

Screenshot_20210710-153333_SYNA-G.jpg

Saying there's nothing sacred about 1m ramp is completely irrelevant...with the advent of products Incorporating FW and SW features, it's not about IF the feature is important, but that it's functioning as advertised.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad it's working to your satisfaction, BUT, with many folks complaining about borked features that are not working as advertised, the decent thing to do would be to fix the issue(s).

And I would bet if you set the following config, with the same HW and FW versions I outlined in the ticket, you would see the same erroneous behavior:

Screenshot_20210710-153333_SYNA-G.jpg

Saying there's nothing sacred about 1m ramp is completely irrelevant...with the advent of products Incorporating FW and SW features, it's not about IF the feature is important, but that it's functioning as advertised.
Not sure that you got the main point of my post - which was - while you're waiting to hear from Coralvue, for the specific reason, you could use one of the shorter times. Except for a coralvue employee, I am not sure anyone would know whether its a firmware problem or something else specific to you unit. I was also only pointing out - that in my testing and reading - the settings you are using are not necessarily recommended. I could be wrong - like I said - I don't have access to my Mobius - to check exactly what I'm using. Good luck!

EDIT - By the way - I was not trying imply that you should not get the settings you want - or that its acceptable. Only that you could use the shorter time until you get it resolved with Coralvue. There are a couple threads about this - and there is something programming wise (in the unit) I believe about the specific setting you're using. I hope you get it resolved

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure that you got the main point of my post - which was - while you're waiting to hear from Coralvue, for the specific reason, you could use one of the shorter times. Except for a coralvue employee, I am not sure anyone would know whether its a firmware problem or something else specific to you unit. I was also only pointing out - that in my testing and reading - the settings you are using are not necessarily recommended. I could be wrong - like I said - I don't have access to my Mobius - to check exactly what I'm using. Good luck!

EDIT - By the way - I was not trying imply that you should not get the settings you want - or that its acceptable. Only that you could use the shorter time until you get it resolved with Coralvue. There are a couple threads about this - and there is something programming wise (in the unit) I believe about the specific setting you're using. I hope you get it resolved
Yes, thank you. I am and have been using the 40s ramp since 1m does not work correctly.

I'm not sure what you mean by the settings I'm using are not recommended. Usually, to protect the product and the consumer from damages, developer's will limit those settings that can be detrimental.

If there are settings that Maxspect and Coralvue do not recommend, but have not provided an update, that's also a big issue IMO.

I will wait to hear back from Coralvue and update this thread with the outcome.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, thank you. I am and have been using the 40s ramp since 1m does not work correctly.

I'm not sure what you mean by the settings I'm using are not recommended. Usually, to protect the product and the consumer from damages, developer's will limit those settings that can be detrimental.

If there are settings that Maxspect and Coralvue do not recommend, but have not provided an update, that's also a big issue IMO.

I will wait to hear back from Coralvue and update this thread with the outcome.
Everything I've read is very non-specific - and not well described (so I have no clue whether those threads have anything to do with your issue). I probably phrased my comment incorrectly. Rather than 'Maxspect doesn't recommend it', should read 'others have reported problems with those settings. On at least one thread it was mentioned that Maxspect does not recommend using the product with alternating gyres specifically in the manner you are - but you're correct - they will let you know. I would be very interested in hearing the response!

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t use Gyres anymore, but when I did I had the same issue with my XF330s. It happens in different times than 1 minute as well. I also had it only happen on the B pump in certain timings when the A pump would work correctly. Hard to pin down and very frustrating. I reported it to Coralvue and Maxspect and posted about it on the Maxspect Facebook group but no one seemed interested in fixing it. There are quite a few other bugs you can find on the various modes as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t use Gyres anymore, but when I did I had the same issue with my XF330s. It happens in different times than 1 minute as well. I also had it only happen on the B pump in certain timings when the A pump would work correctly. Hard to pin down and very frustrating. I reported it to Coralvue and Maxspect and posted about it on the Maxspect Facebook group but no one seemed interested in fixing it. There are quite a few other bugs you can find on the various modes as well.
This is to what I was referring. The 'solution' was not to use certain settings on A and different ones on B (to my recollection)

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, this is frustrating, I also have noticed bugs in other settings as well. Unacceptable IMO for a $500+ system, especially if it's been widely documented!

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is to what I was referring. The 'solution' was not to use certain settings on A and different ones on B (to my recollection)
It's mind boggling that a wavemaker that's branded a Gyre would not even function correctly in Alternating Gyre mode.

I've heard mostly good reports of the Coralvue customer service, so hopefully they address this!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Gyre 350's set to Variable w/offset delay. I have not seen any issues in this setup.

Hopefully CoralVue will help you and get it fixed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's mind boggling that a wavemaker that's branded a Gyre would not even function correctly in Alternating Gyre mode.

I've heard mostly good reports of the Coralvue customer service, so hopefully they address this!
Like I said - I dont think its the issue of alternating Gyre mode - that works fine (from my experience). Its when you have pump A set one way - and pump B set another way (which was the impression I thought you gave in your OP): 1) Two XF350's, Pump A Alt Gyre, pump B anti-sync

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brand new XF 350 here and I can’t get B pump to work. It came on a few times and then nothing. Shows it’s on and flowing on the controller randomly …Then will say off. If I plug it into the A spot it works. I’m assuming the controller is bad right out of the box.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new XF 350 here and I can’t get B pump to work. It came on a few times and then nothing. Shows it’s on and flowing on the controller randomly …Then will say off. If I plug it into the A spot it works. I’m assuming the controller is bad right out of the box.

Yep, known issue. Contact Coralvue. They’ll send you out a new controller.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yep, known issue. Contact Coralvue. They’ll send you out a new controller.
Thank you… what a pain.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Indeed. Esp brand new. Mine crapped out after a year or so. They tell replaced it. Make sure you hang onto your proof of purchase. They will ask you for that.
Ridiculous especially being a known issue. I have vortechs but the tank is only 12 in deep. And the cone of flow hammers the corals no matter what. The gyre works better on it.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I love them. Have 4 of them running anti synch pulse mode. My corals sway back and forth like they are doing the cha cha. Feel it replicates the back and forth of ocean current really well. Haven’t seen the clogging issues some people complained about either. Gotta get a better QC department.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was worried they wouldn’t hold on 1in acrylic but they do. I’ll pick up a spare pump since I’ll be running 4. Then maintenance will be easy. Swap one out and let it run in citric acid overnight.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back