Maxspect Jump mj-sk400 skimmer, has anyone used them?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share what their experience's been like with the Maxspect Jump mj-sk400 skimmers? I've searched for the reviews and stuff but most of them have been more about how to set them up or the first impression just after setting them up, rather than a long-term review. Also, there don't seem to be that many posts about them on R2R.

I'm in the process of building a new setup and I have already decided on which skimmer to get (Aquamaxx Q2 ) but I came across an advert for what seems to be a good deal on a secondhand Maxspect Jump mj-sk400 skimmer today which got me curious about the model.
Cheers.

jvswan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for about a year. Good skimmer. It is pretty stable. Very easy to control foam consistency. Makes great foam. Comes with a float switch so that it won’t overflow the cup. I’ve had Reef Octopus skimmers in the past and this one works just as well as they did.

Build quality is good. It breaks down for cleaning pretty easily. The motor is pretty slick. Two pinwheels (one on either side) generate the foam. I didn’t go so far as to remove the impellers or whatever is inside the motor, though. Still, it is foaming like a champ.

My only gripe is that it is nearly impossible to get customer service for after sale support. They don’t reply to customer service emails and they don’t reply when you submit a help ticket in their support system online. I’m my case, when I took it apart two weeks ago a thin-ish foam gasket that sealed the water outlet to the skimmer body came off. I don’t think it is a big deal… the skimmer still works as it always has. I reached out to Maxspect and can’t get a hold of them to find out if I can get a replacement gasket.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for about a year. Good skimmer. It is pretty stable. Very easy to control foam consistency. Makes great foam. Comes with a float switch so that it won’t overflow the cup. I’ve had Reef Octopus skimmers in the past and this one works just as well as they did.

Build quality is good. It breaks down for cleaning pretty easily. The motor is pretty slick. Two pinwheels (one on either side) generate the foam. I didn’t go so far as to remove the impellers or whatever is inside the motor, though. Still, it is foaming like a champ.

My only gripe is that it is nearly impossible to get customer service for after sale support. They don’t reply to customer service emails and they don’t reply when you submit a help ticket in their support system online. I’m my case, when I took it apart two weeks ago a thin-ish foam gasket that sealed the water outlet to the skimmer body came off. I don’t think it is a big deal… the skimmer still works as it always has. I reached out to Maxspect and can’t get a hold of them to find out if I can get a replacement gasket.
Thanks for the detailed review.

crispyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the review! How quiet is the skimmer for you?

Go.Big.Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Maxspect JMP 400 and just started using it in my new tank. I’m pretty happy with it so far! I am curious though if anyone has tried hooking up a CO2 scrubber to it like has been done on other skimmers in the past?

My tank is in my basement and I am having a hard time getting my pH above 7.9. Was thinking a cheap CO2 scrubber connected to the intake of the skimmer might help? Thoughts?

DanM1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also trying to see how quiet this thing is. And what tank size do you guys have it on? I’m thinking about it for a 90 gallon but don’t want it to be overkill and hard tune.

DanM1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What size tank do you have it on?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem with it that after a power outage it turns on too fast and overflows. you have to connect it to something that will delay it for a few min

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.8%
Back