Maxspex gyre 250 - is this going bad?

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet around the shaft doesn't look great. Is this breaking or just normal wear and tear?

16037659673666092978921323550506.jpg

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to swell from cracks, as mentioned you will need to replace it soon. If left to swell longer, you will have a hard time removing it from the shaft.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how old that pump is and when you first noticed the crack starting? I have a new set of xf250’s that I’m using on my new build and this makes me worried about making the wrong choice of gyre

U

User1

View Badges
How in the heck did you even get it out of the casing? I've owned a pair of XF250's now for about 2 1/2 years and have never cleaned that area. Always just the blades and cages. Hmm.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a PIA to press out of the housing. I did it once in 4 years, think I remember using an eraser end of a pencil.
Great pump but terrible design factor for maintenance.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 years old. Have been very happy with them (I have two). I try to clean them monthly, but don't get around to ito it every month. Taking them apart the first time was a pain. Now it takes me less than 15 minutes to clean the pair (excluding the soak time).

The first time, I tried following the instructions which didn't go well. I now use jewler size needle nose pliers. Instead of pulling the gate out I twist it until its loose the slowly pull it out. Everyrhing else comes apart with a hard air tube. After the first time was easy. If you haven't cleaned them in years soak them in 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar for 12 hours. Take it apart then soak the pieces for 12 hours. Should come out clean. Will run stronger after.

I ordered a replacement shaft and some stock parts for future use. If anything, I'll end up buying a third pump. I'm running 2 250s on a strangely shaped 270 gallon tank. Its enough but I want a cross flow b/c of the dimensions.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Vinegar soak might be the cause of the cover becoming brittle and porous and the magnet to oxidize prematurely. If there is no calcium buildup on the parts I would not soak in Vinegar

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak every 3 to 4 months. The 50 / 50 solution is based on the coralvue blog: https://blog.coralvue.com/ctvt-maxspect-gyre-maintenance-troubleshooting/

I dont always see buildup but it does run better after the soak. Im possibly looking for the wrong thing? My long soak is also longer then needed. I think they say a minimum of 3 hours, the longer time is easier for my schedule. Ill have to ask them if it would contribute to wear and post back here.

Stackrat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put it anywhere near vinegar. I had to replace an entire XF350 motor block and shaft costing over £100 as this happened to me too.

Stackrat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Citric acid. Cheap as chips on Amazon and apparently does not interfere with plastic like vinegar does.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use vinegar, it causes micro cracks in the plastic which causes the magnet to rust and swell.

Citric acid is just as good, but does not cause the microcracking in the plastic.

OP
OP
S

Shluffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to order some. Thanks for the advice.

What concentration do you use? How long do you soak?

Stackrat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concentration ratio is pretty unscientific. 2 tablespoons in a 1 liter Rowaphos container along with hot water and leave it for anywhere between 1 hour and 8 hrs. If the gunge brushes off easily with a toothbrush, it's good to go.

Stackrat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, this stuff is great for cleaning the limescale off kettles as well, but if you ever feel the urge to see what it'll do to a marble washbasin.......don't!
My wife is still not talking to me. ;Rage

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to both of my XF230s. I don't recall EVER hearing any warnings from Coralvue regarding the potential for vinegar to ruin their gyre magnets. Coralvue wants in excess of $250 for the replacements parts - more than the pumps alone cost brand new.

What improvements do you all see in successive generations of Gyre pumps, if any? It seems to me that the known issues plaguing XF130 owners are the exact same issues that confront XF350 owners. One thing I am certain of, none of the parts are interchangeable!

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to both of my XF230s. I don't recall EVER hearing any warnings from Coralvue regarding the potential for vinegar to ruin their gyre magnets. Coralvue wants in excess of $250 for the replacements parts - more than the pumps alone cost brand new.

What improvements do you all see in successive generations of Gyre pumps, if any? It seems to me that the known issues plaguing XF130 owners are the exact same issues that confront XF350 owners. One thing I am certain of, none of the parts are interchangeable!
Regarding this issue, we are sorry that Gyre 300 series is not compatible with Gyre 200 series, as we are using new sine wave technology in the controllers, and the new water flow directors, which needs to have a new pump, which has different hardware and is not compatible with the old ones.

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the Gyre 200 series is the XF-230 controller compatible with the XF-250 or the XF280?
Sorry it is not compatible, as the power is different and the cable connector sizes are also different.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back