Maybe I found out why my NO3 and PO4 are creeping up

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NO3 and PO4 have been creeping up for some time now (see graphs on the left). My GFO is quite new, filter wool is replaced every 7-10 days, carbon dosed extensively, and Chaeto is growing well, although getting a bit covered by Cyano. My thinking was that detritus was accumulating somewhere. To make a long story short, my skimmer was Islowly getting clogged by stuff. After I gave it a good 20 min citric acid wash (let it work with citric acid), I washed it and put it back. Only then I noticed how clogged my skimmer was. I will update if the parameters will or will not creep back to their preferred values.
Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 8.14.44.png

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post. That is something I need to check too.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post. That is something I need to check too.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you notice your skimmer was clogged? Reservoir, pump, tubing…?
It was not making the amount of bubbles it should when on 100% power. Rough estimate, probably much less than 25%. It is a Maxspect jump sk 400. After cleaning, the difference is very clear. I did not even take it apart just ran it with concentrated citric acid for 20-30 min

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When carbon dosing skimmers should be checked every couple of days for clogging. The bacteria just love areas where air meets the water. Turning skimmer off for 5-10 minutes every day helps for flushing air tube. But the impeller, the wheel and skimmer neck should be cleaned also more frequently when dosing organic carbon

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When carbon dosing skimmers should be checked every couple of days for clogging. The bacteria just love areas where air meets the water. Turning skimmer off for 5-10 minutes every day helps for flushing air tube. But the impeller, the wheel and skimmer neck should be cleaned also more frequently when dosing organic carbon
That's an overkill IMHO :cool:. However, 7-8 months w/o cleaning is a problem as well. Now that I know that a 20-30 min citric acid bath is an efficient strategy for cleaning. I will do it more often. Still, taking the skimmer from the sump with all the cables is a pain. I should reorganize the equipment there to be more maintenance friendly. With the Maxspect skimmer, there are two sets of double combs. One of them is stationary and probably more prone to stuff growing on it.
Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back