Maybe someone can shed some light on my issue. I'm thinkg Ich

Rob456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently migrated from a 125 Gallon to a 180 gallon over the Holidays. My 4th migration. 125 gallon has been up and running for over 1 1/2 years with no issues. After moving to the 180 gallon within the first week noticed white spots on my Hippo Tang. After a few days it disappeared. Then I noticed white spots on my Powder Brown Tang. Second day he was totally covered in spots. Started using Rally Pro with Rally Kick Ich because I have a reef tank. By the 5th day I lost several fishes. Powder Brown, Flame Angel, Square back Anthias bonded pair, Chromis, Starry Blenny, Watchman Goby, Yellow Clown Goby, Engineeer Goby and a Coral Beauty, Royal Gamma, Black Cap Basslet. After that I decide to try a cooper QT. Think I waited to late for that though. Managed to catch my Hippo Tang, Purple Tang, 2 Yellow tangs, Lamarck Angel, Engineer Goby, Yellow Clown Goby.
One by one they died. As of today only the Hippo, Yellow and Purple Tang. And now they're not eating. Don't expect them to make it.
Fish left in DT that seem unaffected by breakout. Bluefin Damsel, Yellow tail and yellow belly Damsel, Lunar Wrasse, Six Line Wrasse, Convict Tang and 2 out of 4 Ocellaris Clownfish and 1 Yellow tang (He was the smallest of the 3). Anenome Tank plumbed into the system has 2 Maroon Clowns, Neon Dottyback and another Damsel which also seems fine.
Steps for migration was,
50% old water
50% new water
Moved live rock over
Was debating bare bottom or sand so I only added 40 lbs. of new live sand
Let the water clear up from the new sand
Moved fish and coral over
Sorry for the long story but my main question is why the breakout? Nothing new was added to this tank for several months.
Any input, thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

20220111_231913.jpg 20220111_231954.jpg

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently migrated from a 125 Gallon to a 180 gallon over the Holidays. My 4th migration. 125 gallon has been up and running for over 1 1/2 years with no issues. After moving to the 180 gallon within the first week noticed white spots on my Hippo Tang. After a few days it disappeared. Then I noticed white spots on my Powder Brown Tang. Second day he was totally covered in spots. Started using Rally Pro with Rally Kick Ich because I have a reef tank. By the 5th day I lost several fishes. Powder Brown, Flame Angel, Square back Anthias bonded pair, Chromis, Starry Blenny, Watchman Goby, Yellow Clown Goby, Engineeer Goby and a Coral Beauty, Royal Gamma, Black Cap Basslet. After that I decide to try a cooper QT. Think I waited to late for that though. Managed to catch my Hippo Tang, Purple Tang, 2 Yellow tangs, Lamarck Angel, Engineer Goby, Yellow Clown Goby.
One by one they died. As of today only the Hippo, Yellow and Purple Tang. And now they're not eating. Don't expect them to make it.
Fish left in DT that seem unaffected by breakout. Bluefin Damsel, Yellow tail and yellow belly Damsel, Lunar Wrasse, Six Line Wrasse, Convict Tang and 2 out of 4 Ocellaris Clownfish and 1 Yellow tang (He was the smallest of the 3). Anenome Tank plumbed into the system has 2 Maroon Clowns, Neon Dottyback and another Damsel which also seems fine.
Steps for migration was,
50% old water
50% new water
Moved live rock over
Sorry for the long story but my main question is why the breakout? Nothing new was added to this tank for several months.

the first pic seems like velvet, I dont see anything in second pic

OP
OP
R

Rob456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good veiwing pic of the angel. He did have spots on him. Hippo in the background has visible spots.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steps for migration was,
50% old water
50% new water
Moved live rock over

I think this is “old ich”, when it has been going on for a time, it can start to look like velvet.
I know it’s tough, but often, once ich has reached a point where fish have died, it can be tough to stop it in time to keep other fish from dying.
What copper are you using, what dose are you at, and what test kit are you using?
Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
R

Rob456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Cupramine. Following directions on the bottle. 20 drops for every 10.5 gallons. Just picked up a Hanna Cooper Test Kit today. Will test water cooper levels. Still treating DT with Rally Pro and Kick Ich. Noticed a few spots on the Damels that's still in the DT. I've tried catching them with no luck. It's an 8 foot tank with about 150-200 lbs of live rock and corals.

Attachments

• 20220113_133848.jpg
    20220113_133848.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
R

Rob456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I prefer not to stress my corals out trying to catch the remaining fish. Kinda puts me in a bad situation.

Attachments

• 20220113_135414.jpg
    20220113_135414.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220113_135431.jpg
    20220113_135431.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220113_135455.jpg
    20220113_135455.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 34

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Cupramine. Following directions on the bottle. 20 drops for every 10.5 gallons. Just picked up a Hanna Cooper Test Kit today. Will test water cooper levels. Still treating DT with Rally Pro and Kick Ich. Noticed a few spots on the Damels that's still in the DT. I've tried catching them with no luck. It's an 8 foot tank with about 150-200 lbs of live rock and corals.
With the Hanna kit, your Cupramine level should be around 0.50 ppm.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back