MB7 and NoPOX. Either or? Both?

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have been following the Red Sea dosing program for a little while now. Prior to this I dosed Mb7 v NoPox. Is there a benefit to continuing to dose Mb7 in conjunction with the nopox? Or just stick with the nopox? I dose .6ml each day per red sea and have definitely seen a positive effect with regards to my nitrates staying between around 4-6ppm and po4 staying below .1ppm. So not worried about nutrients but always looking to maintain a healthy and diverse bacteria population!

Thoughts?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3Po4 is a carbon source, MB7 is a bottled bacteria. There’s really no reason to keep dosing bacteria.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have been following the Red Sea dosing program for a little while now. Prior to this I dosed Mb7 v NoPox. Is there a benefit to continuing to dose Mb7 in conjunction with the nopox? Or just stick with the nopox? I dose .6ml each day per red sea and have definitely seen a positive effect with regards to my nitrates staying between around 4-6ppm and po4 staying below .1ppm. So not worried about nutrients but always looking to maintain a healthy and diverse bacteria population!

Thoughts?
I use both. NoPox DIY daily, and MB7 weekly.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a nutrient perspective you don’t need to add mb7 your nitrates and phosphates are in the desired level using nopox meaning that you already have the bacteria you need in your tank to lower nutrients, in your situation adding mb7 would just be a waste in my opinion.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a nutrient perspective you don’t need to add mb7 your nitrates and phosphates are in the desired level using nopox meaning that you already have the bacteria you need in your tank to lower nutrients, in your situation adding mb7 would just be a waste in my opinion.
The only time I would see needing to continue to add mb7 to a matured tank is if you have an outbreak of dinos and you are trying to overload the good bacteria in hopes of outcompeting the dinos. Outside of that, the bacteria is most likely already in your system and they have established the 'ideal' levels naturally according to the conditions of your tank.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I would see needing to continue to add mb7 to a matured tank is if you have an outbreak of dinos and you are trying to overload the good bacteria in hopes of outcompeting the dinos. Outside of that, the bacteria is most likely already in your system and they have established the 'ideal' levels naturally according to the conditions of your tank.
My thoughts exactly, it seems helpful with Cyanobacteria also

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that unless you have a very good idea of which strains of bacteria are in the tank, you really do not know whether additional strains that may be added by MB7 would provide additional benefits.

My experience is that the addition of MB7 results in decomposition and release of some detritus on the rockwork.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that unless you have a very good idea of which strains of bacteria are in the tank, you really do not know whether additional strains that may be added by MB7 would provide additional benefits.

My experience is that the addition of MB7 results in decomposition and release of some detritus on the rockwork.
Or worse...could adding MB7 actually be detrimentally destabilizing factor because it unbalances what was previously in balance.

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone! US Eastern time here so late to the party haha! From the sound of it it’s not necessary but also (most likely) not detrimental. I still have some Mb7 left that is still good to use so maybe I’ll try @gbroadbridge approach and dose it weekly to get rid of it!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just dump in the MB7 since you already have it but doubt it'll do anything at all... I'm not sure what strains are in there but probably pretty typical stuff you have plenty of

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just dump in the MB7 since you already have it but doubt it'll do anything at all... I'm not sure what strains are in there but probably pretty typical stuff you have plenty of
Yeah not expecting anything based on above comments but might as well use it up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back