Mccoskers flasher laying down breathing heavy

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my Mccoskers flasher to my dt after it going through hypo to treat for flukes. Raised the salinity over 6 days to 1.025, added it to my dt about 4 hours ago and it’s just laying down on the sandbed breathing rapidly. Has barley moved since I put it in, is this normal for wrasses or should I be worried?

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn the lights off and give it some quiet time. Every wrasse I have added has looked really bad at first.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just added my Mccoskers flasher to my dt after it going through hypo to treat for flukes. Raised the salinity over 6 days to 1.025, added it to my dt about 4 hours ago and it’s just laying down on the sandbed breathing rapidly. Has barley moved since I put it in, is this normal for wrasses or should I be worried?
While typically normal, Please a video or at least pics under white lighting for best assessment
Did you acclimate this fish to the display tank ?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While typically normal, Please a video or at least pics under white lighting for best assessment
Did you acclimate this fish to the display tank ?

I didn’t acclimate since salinity temp and ph were very close together (salinity and temp were spot on matched)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I didn’t acclimate since salinity temp and ph were very close together (salinity and temp were spot on matched)
The breathing is somewhat labored. If you havent already, increase oxygen with air stone and reduce lights to low blue. Fish appears thin and needs more than pellets, in particular- meats.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing is somewhat labored. If you havent already, increase oxygen with air stone and reduce lights to low blue. Fish appears thin and needs more than pellets, in particular- meats.
All he has been fed in qt was mysis, and doesn’t take to pellets and also was eating really good in qt. Should I put him in a acclimation box for the night and see how he is in the morning?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All he has been fed in qt was mysis, and doesn’t take to pellets and also was eating really good in qt. Should I put him in a acclimation box for the night and see how he is in the morning?
You can. Will provide flow and check before bed and and yes in the morning.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up and he’s still alive. Noticed this and no idea what it is, looks like something he tried to poop out but it stuck to him.
E7424CA6-9885-4DA7-9362-9BA9DD27420A.jpeg

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey buddy how is he doing I know I'm a bit late but I only seen this post when I was reading care tips for this kind of wrasse

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
methylene blue (fish grade) as you can dip him (take some salt water from your aquarium or RODI water heated up to match your tank water) in that for like 5 minutes.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Doing good, in the display tank now and always out and swimming around and gets along with everyone
Great to hear. In future, Methelyne blue would be bad choice- Only for freshwater.
You will want acriflavine such as Ruby rally Pro

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for giving you the wrong advice (@vetteguy53081 knows his stuff) and I'm glad to hear your wrasse is out and about I'm going to pick one up in the next few days is it normal that they breathe slightly faster than the typical fish as I saw one today in my local LFS and he mouth seemed to open and close faster than I'm used to seeing in a wrasse but he was swimming about and eating

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for giving you the wrong advice (@vetteguy53081 knows his stuff) and I'm glad to hear your wrasse is out and about I'm going to pick one up in the next few days is it normal that they breathe slightly faster than the typical fish as I saw one today in my local LFS and he mouth seemed to open and close faster than I'm used to seeing in a wrasse but he was swimming about and eating
You wont regret it that’s for sure, as for the heavy breathing I can’t answer as I’m the farthest thing from a expert lol. there’s lots on here that know their stuff about wrasses. Some of them are @i cant think and @Crabby48 and @SaltyT

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard for me to say not seeing it. I think tangs breathe faster than wrasse. I’m wrasse and few tang person lol. Some do open and close their mouth a lot and some not so much. I’m thinking what you see is normal. They can be stressed over very little and then breathing is fast or more labored

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say without knowing what those other fish were in the store. These guys don’t always breathe heavily unless moved to a new tank. I know sometimes they can be highly dramatic but they don’t seem to breathe that heavily even when being dramatic. As Crabby has said, it’s really hard without seeing the actual fish.

Back