Me again, water testing and I checked prior threads.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is if my ammonia comes down to -0- on Aug 26th and all perimeters are within range, do I still have to dump the tank and if so, do I leave the live rock and sand in?

Sorry to be so needy but I'm dying to put a couple of yellow tail damsels in :)

No need to remove the rock and sand, just siphon out as much water as you can and refill it.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to remove the rock and sand, just siphon out as much water as you can and refill it.
Wow, I knew that from a former reply, but I didn't think I had to do a full water change if the perimeters were all level and the ammonia was at -0-.

So basically, in my inexperienced reefer knowledge...I still have to remove the water as all the bacteria is within the live rock and all I'm doing is removing the water to remove any remaining "debris" that didn't "stick"?.

I don't mind as it's just an 8 gallon tank and I already have 8 treated gallons stored. I'm just wondering should I also treat my stored salt water with Dr. Tims before I put it in the fresh tank? Also, once I do this, will it be safe for 2 fish straight away?

I apologize if I sound confused. I just want everything perfect before I add fish. I know damsels are a "ghetto" cheap fish but I would hate to have one die on me.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are removing with the water is nitrate and phosphate. If you start with low amounts of these you will hopefully experence less algae growth. You can choose not to change the water if its too much trouble

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that's great to know. It's a small tank and at most take an hour. After I do this, can fish go in straight away?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fish can go in: after you float the bag for temp equalization.
Also ask the LFS what salinity they keep the fish at. You want to match that or you will have to add tank water to the bag over time until the water bag water is the about same salinity as your tank

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fish can go in: after you float the bag for temp equalization.
Also ask the LFS what salinity they keep the fish at. You want to match that or you will have to add tank water to the bag over time until the water bag water is the about same salinity as your tank
Great! Thanks again and again. Before I sign off anything else I should ask the guy? I'm making a list of questions. I pretty much consulted with Mr. Google about maintenance of damsels. Funny thing, everything else is flippy in my water but my salinity is great at 1.024 and my Ph at 8.4.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask him are the fish disease free? hahahahahaha thats a joke, he should laugh. Have him feed the tank with the fish and see who eats and who does not.
Get some cubes of frozen food to feed the fish. They like variety not just kibble every meal

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask him are the fish disease free? hahahahahaha thats a joke, he should laugh. Have him feed the tank with the fish and see who eats and who does not.
Get some cubes of frozen food to feed the fish. They like variety not just kibble every meal
Lol! I should ask him that for the heck of a it to see his response. He's been around forever and if you live in Los Angeles, I highly recommend Marks Tropical Fish in North Hollywood. I will get some frozen food, I already bought marine flakes.

Mark built my small koi pond. I do all the maintenance on that even cleaning the filter. I put on my wading boots and take out my step ladder. It's a dirty job and after that I am swamp woman in need of a shower, but monthly maintenance on that runs a 100 bucks in LA.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back