Me and My 4g Reef

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your almost there with your dkh , nice build and work so far. From my experiance in the nano's once you get upto around 9+ dkh your nutrient uptake will kickin bigtime in the corals rather than the algae. cant wait to see more. Love the pic of eyes in a barnacle lol too cute.

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question..do you still use the stock return pump for this tank? I got the 5 gallon lifegard and the return pump is too loud.. I'm about out of tricks and might switch to a different brand of pump. Digging the barnacle blennies by the way, I might go that route with my tank.
I do! Mine made this super loud hum and occasionally rattled, but I pulled it apart and put it back together and it stopped.

I love them! They definitely ended up being a good fit.

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your almost there with your dkh , nice build and work so far. From my experiance in the nano's once you get upto around 9+ dkh your nutrient uptake will kickin bigtime in the corals rather than the algae. cant wait to see more. Love the pic of eyes in a barnacle lol too cute.
Awesome, thanks for that tip!!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do! Mine made this super loud hum and occasionally rattled, but I pulled it apart and put it back together and it stopped.

I love them! They definitely ended up being a good fit.
I use a couple of silicone hair ties I stole my from my SO as noise dampeners, they work great!

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my new batch of saltwater today. Reef crystals mixed to 1.025 S.G.

Ca - 410 ppm
KH - 14.4 dKH
Mg - 1290ppm
Ph - 8.3

Ph tested with the Hannah tester, the rest with Salifert.

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold flecks are still coming along! Bottom pic is with the orange filter from NestEcho
20498742-343F-4574-BB46-E4E10F2250D0.jpeg
EFE4F2F4-CBBE-4B07-A433-BD2313E94788.jpeg

Another Newbie Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your little tank!! You've inspired me to look into barnacle blennies and a pom pom for my 10g nano reef. Do you have any other inhabitants? I'd love to do an oc. clown or royal gramma, but I worry about mixing with the blennies in such a small space.

Also, what made you go with the b-Ionic dosing instead of a single mix like All For Reef?

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your little tank!! You've inspired me to look into barnacle blennies and a pom pom for my 10g nano reef. Do you have any other inhabitants? I'd love to do an oc. clown or royal gramma, but I worry about mixing with the blennies in such a small space.

Also, what made you go with the b-Ionic dosing instead of a single mix like All For Reef?
Thank you! ;Shamefullyembarrased
Aside from corals I currently have the two barnacle blennies, the pompom crab, and seven snails of different types. I may be picking up a clown goby or green banded goby today!

from what I’ve read barnacle blennies aren’t very aggressive, but I’ll have some first hand information on that before long. In a 10g I wouldn’t think they’d clash with a single fish that inhabits the water column as opposed to the rockscape, such as a clownfish. Personally I wouldn’t put a royal gramma in a 10g, but I’m honestly not sure how the blennies would react to them as they tend to hang closer to the rocks.

a two part like B-Ionic allows for a lot more flexibility and allows Ca and KH to be altered independently, whereas a single mix you have to raise them in equal proportions. So say if I had a ph drop that then lowered my KH in order to bring the ph back up, I couldn’t dose the KH back in without raising my calcium. There’s also limits on how concentrated a single part can be without precipitation, iirc.

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some reagent and changed the battery in an old Hannah phosphate checker, tested at 0.16ppm! First time using one of these, really simple, easy, and fast
9F51AA77-513E-4A38-9095-AE3CDBF150F5.jpeg

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank. Sorry to hear about the dinos though....and those dinos look like ostreopsis :(

On the light thing, having a par38 bulb you can just open it and change the plastic difusers, wich set the angle. Traditional par38 bulbs have 30 degree, but you can buy 60, 90 and 120 degree. I would go for 60 or 90 degree. This bulbs usually have screws that can be unscrewed easily.

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank. Sorry to hear about the dinos though....and those dinos look like ostreopsis :(

On the light thing, having a par38 bulb you can just open it and change the plastic difusers, wich set the angle. Traditional par38 bulbs have 30 degree, but you can buy 60, 90 and 120 degree. I would go for 60 or 90 degree. This bulbs usually have screws that can be unscrewed easily.
Thanks!
Yeah, working on raising nutrients, tried setting up a up sterilizer but the tank is so small it’s not working out. Hopefully once I get nitrate up they’ll die off.

oh, awesome! I think part of it is shadowing from my rocks, but changing the lenses would be great. I noticed the light from the uv/red/green bulbs tends to just shine in one very small area, I guess changing the lenses would fix that as well as the overall spread? Thanks for pointing that out!

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters as of yesterday:

78°
1.035 s.g.
Ph 8.4
Ca 415ppm
KH 9.5 dKH
Mg 1350ppm
NO3 >5ppm
PO4 0.16ppm

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Yeah, working on raising nutrients, tried setting up a up sterilizer but the tank is so small it’s not working out. Hopefully once I get nitrate up they’ll die off.

oh, awesome! I think part of it is shadowing from my rocks, but changing the lenses would be great. I noticed the light from the uv/red/green bulbs tends to just shine in one very small area, I guess changing the lenses would fix that as well as the overall spread? Thanks for pointing that out!
You are welcome!. Yes I have two if those bulbs:

The first I used was 4x white, 6x blue, 5x violet, 2x green, 1x red
I noticed with it that the red and green didn´t dissipate much. And my cyano loved it.

Now I use this one: 10 blue, 6 white, 2 UV

So far this new one is doing better than the old one in my 10 gallon. Algae don´t have much light they like.

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome!. Yes I have two if those bulbs:

The first I used was 4x white, 6x blue, 5x violet, 2x green, 1x red
I noticed with it that the red and green didn´t dissipate much. And my cyano loved it.

Now I use this one: 10 blue, 6 white, 2 UV

So far this new one is doing better than the old one in my 10 gallon. Algae don´t have much light they like.
That’s really great information, thank you!!

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are really enjoying the no-water-change schedule, but dinos are continuing to multiply. I’ve ordered a uv bulb that should fit in the back chamber, it’ll be here Monday. I’ve heard really great things about uv for ostreopsis so hopefully it knocks them out!

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested everything again today, nutrients are going down despite no water changes :rolleyes:
I’m going to start dumping large frozen/fresh foods twice daily

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters as of yesterday:

78°
1.035 s.g.
Ph 8.4
Ca 415ppm
KH 9.5 dKH
Mg 1350ppm
NO3 >5ppm
PO4 0.16ppm
Was that a typo for your sg? Also I like the 9.5dkh number MUCH better than the 14.4 you posted earlier!

This little tank is such a cool environment, I have loved following its story!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! This is my first build thread, so I’m still figuring everything out. I started this tank in September of 2018, so I’m going to do a couple posts getting up to date, then continuing on as we progress!

Some tank info:

The aquarium is Lifegard Aquatic’s new 4.14g all-in-one crystal aquarium. I’m setting it up to hopefully keep soft corals and a couple barnacle blennies.

All questions and suggestions are more than welcome! Stay tuned for updates
Welcome

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back