Measurements of threads on union-valves and unions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to replace the union-valve on my skimmer, but I have to reuse the slip connector and female threads from the old union-valve.

Can you measure the threads on your unions and union-valves and let me know if any of them look like they may have matching threads?

The male threads on the old valve are about 2-9/16" in diameter.
ea027ff05b36c1c6d3c609c19db0a77b.jpg

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like you have a 1"union I would take the part with me to your local hardware store and start there. I know Home Depot sells them for around $3-$4.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to replace the union-valve on my skimmer, but I have to reuse the slip connector and female threads from the old union-valve.

Can you measure the threads on your unions and union-valves and let me know if any of them look like they may have matching threads?

The male threads on the old valve are about 2-9/16" in diameter.

Hey there!

Do you know what size of valve this is? (As in, does it attach to 1", 1.5", etc?). My only concern here is that there may be differences in the pitch and thread spacing between our unions and the unions that were used by the manufacturer of your valve. It is likely that they are not matched exactly which would make them incompatible.

Honestly, if it were me and I was able to replace the entire valve, I would buy a new one and replace it. Sometimes the cost of a new valve may be worth the hassle of finding that the two peices are incompatible and you need a new valve anyway. You could always purchase a union and test it for proper fit with your existing piece. :)

-Randy

OP
OP
C

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the entire valve if I could. Unfortunately I must re-use the female threaded portion because it is glued directly to the skimmer body. And in case it was not clear in my first post - the part shown in the photo is the part I want to replace. It is the part that connects it that I must re-use.

I'm not opposed to buying some parts to test. But I would rather not order 4 sizes of 5 different products knowing that most of the parts won't be remotely close to the right size.

If you can suggest some parts /sizes that appear close to 2-9/16" in diameter on the male threads that would be a big help.

Thanks

OP
OP
C

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a side view of the old valve with the label showing. However, the new parts would not need be the same pipe size. As long as the union threads fit, it will do the trick.

IMG_20170823_215459.jpg

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Here's what I found for our unions. The first two photos are of a 1" union while the next two are of 1-1/4". It looks like my initial concern may be the limiting factor here as the pitch and thread spacing from your union to these seem to be completely different and may not screw together properly.

That's what I've found about plumbing parts like these, they are typically proprietary in how they fit together while the actual connection from plumbing fitting to pipe is universal in NPT or BSP. In many cases, the non "plumbing essential" connections might be whatever the individual manufacturer chooses.

Hopefully this was helpful to you. :)

-Randy

1.JPG
1_2.JPG
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
1.JPG
1_2.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back