Measuring Salinity of Phytoplankton Culture

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know refractometers use light to get a salinity reading, so wouldn't the tint from phytoplankton influence this? Would a hydrometer be influenced too, because of the phyto cells in the water?

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the best way would be to dilute the culture water with fresh water, say 1:10, then multiply the reading by 10? It wouldn't be the most accurate, but it should be close enough.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just answered my own question. I measured the salinity of greenwater with and without diluting, and the result was the same, so it looks like phyto in the water doesn't affect the reading- at least not significantly.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just answered my own question. I measured the salinity of greenwater with and without diluting, and the result was the same, so it looks like phyto in the water doesn't affect the reading- at least not significantly.
Great job. I've always wondered but never worried about it.
Now you've answered that question.

What kind of phyto are you growing?

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to help!

It’s just Nannochloropsis. I tried Iso, but couldn’t get it to grow.
yeah Iso is tricky and my nanno keeps invading it. I read somewhere it actually grows better if you co-grow brine with it. I know it likes to grow in my seahorse grow out tank. which is drilled so it has good flow and steady nutrients.

when I grow it in bottles it's a bust

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae cells do not affect the refraction gradient of saltwater, so no, the algae do not affect the readings of a refractometer.
nor do the neutrally buoyant algae cells change the density of the water, so a swing arm works fine too.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah Iso is tricky and my nanno keeps invading it. I read somewhere it actually grows better if you co-grow brine with it. I know it likes to grow in my seahorse grow out tank. which is drilled so it has good flow and steady nutrients.

when I grow it in bottles it's a bust
Iso and T-Iso need extreme diligence in sterilization of culture water and equipment. Any sloppiness there and you will get contaminations.

Back