Mechanical filteration idea for a 1k gallon aquarium

Big_Saltwater_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I build out this 1k gallon aquarium I'm looking at alternatives to filter socks. One idea I had was a drum filter. Has anyone done this before. Seems like a no brainer. It's basically like the roller mat but tou never have to change out the mat since it has a wash cycle and purge area etc. Anyone thoughts? Obviously I could go with no filter socks etc. But I feel like the filter socks take out a good bit of junk.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So as I build out this 1k gallon aquarium I'm looking at alternatives to filter socks. One idea I had was a drum filter. Has anyone done this before. Seems like a no brainer. It's basically like the roller mat but tou never have to change out the mat since it has a wash cycle and purge area etc. Anyone thoughts? Obviously I could go with no filter socks etc. But I feel like the filter socks take out a good bit of junk.
Back in the day, sand filter but fleece unit will work well for you

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, many people used a sand filter back in the day with a manual or automatic back flush system. Pleated cartridge works fine with a back up cartridge. One in-service and one on the cleaning and then the rack.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone still running a sand filter? Are there downsides?
is this the same sand filter people use for pools?

I wanted to build a pond and thought sand filters would be idea. I read up reviews and it wasn't good. The sand filter would get clogged within a few days and the flow would drop by 90%. Of course, we are talking about an outdoor pond with giant koi vs a 1000g saltwater tank. Maybe it would take a few weeks before the water flow is slowed.

Bright side is when you backwash, its an easy water change.

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm in the process of constructing a 3,000 gallon aquarium system with an RDF. Already purchased a custom saltwater compatible RDF. Be prepared to spend between $2,500 and $5,000 on an RDF. I have seen them used now in the public aquarium sector and they are worth the investment from my understanding. I will likely make a build thread at some point.

OP
OP
B

Big_Saltwater_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of constructing a 3,000 gallon aquarium system with an RDF. Already purchased a custom saltwater compatible RDF. Be prepared to spend between $2,500 and $5,000 on an RDF. I have seen them used now in the public aquarium sector and they are worth the investment from my understanding. I will likely make a build thread at some point.
Where did you get tour rdf? I've been looking at ones that they sell foe kou ponds etc. I think the ones I have looked at are from seaside aquatics. Yes they are a few grand to start

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small swimming pool filter - sand filter or DE filter

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
:)
Waiting to ship.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 28

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Constructed from pp, nylon, 316 stainless. nothing inside that can rust, hopefully. I looked at roughly 15 companies and only 3 make units that are truly saltwater compatible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back