Mechanical Filtration / Crystal Clear Water

MangoSentinels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am in the process of overhauling my sump and all of my mechanical filtration for my 50 Gallon SCA build.

I am running a SCA 301 protein skimmer, 20 MarinePure 2" ceramic cubes , Acurel phosphate removing media pads & debris reducing polyfiber pads, chemipure elite & purigen.

I have a refugium for chaeto with a grow light, but my last ball of chaeto died about a month ago and I have yet to replace it again.

I just finished ordering 2 Aquamaxx FR-M media reactors to run high capacity GFO and Rox 0.8 carbon. I also purchased No3Po4-X, Phosphate-E, 10 micron filter socks & a low range hanna phosphate checker.

My goal is to make my water crystal clear, keep my phosphate levels down and to get rid of the nuisance algae that is starting to grow on my rocks.

I have already started to feed less frequently and have changed my Kessil lighting schedule to be bluer throughout most of the day. I have a clean up crew of about 16 Turbo Astrea snails & a juvenile Foxface that also helps with algae.

What should be my method of attack? Also, if I use either Phosphate-E or No3Po4-X (one or the other, not both obvs) do I have to remove the carbon and gfo reactors?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back