Media Box Upgrade Ideas for Biocube 29

Rechelle Fleck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on removing my dang bioballs and replacing the second chamber with a media box and possibly creating a fuge as well. The chamber definitely has enough room. Other than the pain in the butt task of removing the balls, any ideas of upgrading this area would be greatly appreciated :)

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AA467BB8-264C-44BC-8D3E-2ABEAFCB00E5.jpeg
I am planning on removing my dang bioballs and replacing the second chamber with a media box and possibly creating a fuge as well. The chamber definitely has enough room. Other than the pain in the butt task of removing the balls, any ideas of upgrading this area would be greatly appreciated :)
Do yourself a huuuuuge favor check out intank aquatics they have everything you need to overhaul your biocube filtration https://intankaquatics.com/oceanic-biocube-29-media-basket/
They even make a refugium basket makes everything so easy well worth it then that crap stock biocube system

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AA467BB8-264C-44BC-8D3E-2ABEAFCB00E5.jpeg

Do yourself a huuuuuge favor check out intank aquatics they have everything you need to overhaul your biocube filtration https://intankaquatics.com/oceanic-biocube-29-media-basket/
They even make a refugium basket makes everything so easy well worth it then that crap stock biocube system

I never had any luck with the Refugium. Tried 3 different lights and just couldn't make it work. I also have never seen anyone post about great success with it. But the media rack/water flow tray is highly recommended.

Once you get it in hand, though, you'll realize you could easily make it yourself (a very ghetto version, unless you are good with acrylic). It's just a rectangle with 3 "shelves". But I do recommend it, just not the refugium.

Mine goes, intake - Skimmer - Media Rack with filter floss/purigen/chemi pure elite - empty space, return pump. My heater is actually in the display because my short heater stopped working. I don't have an auto-top off, so I cannot put heater in the back or it will die in the couple of days it takes me to realize "opps, water level is low."

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back