Media Cups and Filtration in Red Sea Reefer 625xxl

fluidimagery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using media cups with filter floss (poly-fill) in all 4 of the cups - typically they get replaced every 5-7 days. It's been setup like this for about 8 months. Over the past few months I've been battling with Dinos (ID'd as Ostreopsis) and the tank is starting to look much better. Last week I purchased 2000 Amphipods & Copepods from Aquarium Depot to help replenish the supply in the tank.

Tonight when I went to replace the poly-fill I must have picked at least 50 pods out of the floss.

I've read a few posts about people not running any socks or floss in the cups but unsure if that's a good idea.

Currently I have Marine Pure bio-balls in the 'fuge' compartment along with a algae scrubber that's currently offline to try to raise NO3 and Po4 to help with the dino situation and a skimmer (Octopus 202s). Also have the sponge that comes with the tank in the baffle.

I'm also running a UV sterilizer in the display that will eventually be moved down to the sump.

Would really appreciate some guidance. Tank is about 18 months old and is a mixed reef.

Thinking about losing the baskets and floss - use MP Blocks where the baskets were - move the MP balls to the baffle where the sponge was. Open up the "fuge" compartment for the detritus to settle and put the skimmer, algae scrubber and UV in the back?

Would that be a terrible idea?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. The floss will remove a lot of pods as you can see. Can the pods make it thru or around the sponge?

OP
OP
fluidimagery

fluidimagery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. The floss will remove a lot of pods as you can see. Can the pods make it thru or around the sponge?
Sure, I'd like to take the sponge out also. The only thing that could collect them is the skimmer. The pre-filter on the UV pump would hopefully prevent them from that. I'll work on training them to stay in the display :p

OP
OP
fluidimagery

fluidimagery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up taking the floss and sponge out. Filled the baskets with the marine pure balls and also the baffle where the sponge fits. We’ll see how it goes! Thank you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back