Media Of Choice For A Reef?

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am building a new reef/coral tank and was wondering what people us for filter media?

I was thinking of using the below
-Intank Filter Floss
-ROX Carbon
-Purigen
-Chemi-Pure Blue or Elite? --> Is this just redundant of the above?

What are you using and does any of the above cause any issue with Coral?

Thanks T

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run algea scrubber . Big spunge , reactor with carbon, protein skimmer. Thats is . I add reef builder for alkalinity. I use all seachem products.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not a fan of the rox carbon , depends what your using it for
purigen and chemipure would not run them unless had a reason to be running them, what issue do you have in the tank?

OP
OP
T

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, just starting out and figured I would build a routine of the same from the beginning. It will be a mixed reef with 1x clown, goby, inverts and coral.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your good with floss and carbon (key is to change them out often) if you let them get nasty they actually do more harm than good . Like if your leaving for a few days, empty your carbon and floss then restart when you get back.

both chemipure and purigen have their uses. once you get into it their are many products out there , best to use as few as possible unless you have real issues. Small tank and frequent water changes are good way to get going.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
matters what chemipure as well, original is just carbon and gfo (wouldnt start a tank using gfo as it could bottom out phosphate) others have ion resins and stuff.
Just start simple; good water flow, keep salinity stable with refractometer to check, nice light fixture, trustworthy test kits, temperature controller and heater, change out filter floss and carbon regularly. Filter floss every 2-4 days, carbon about 3-4 weeks.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algea scrubber is a plastic screen with light on both sides of it and a certain amount of water flows over it . Algea grows on the screen depleting your nitrates and phosphates from your system. It also will grow pods.

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algea scrubber is a plastic screen with light on both sides of it and a certain amount of water flows over it . Algea grows on the screen depleting your nitrates and phosphates from your system. It also will grow pods.
is that basically the same concept as a refugium? I too am starting my first saltwater tank. A 32gal Biocube so I had the identical question as to what to put in it at first.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back