Media Reactor or Cannister filter? Or Both?

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
My DT has been up and running about 3 months now and I am currently only using filter socks in my sump as filtration. I now have 5-6 fish and 2 small corals and am thinking i might need more filtration? So the question is should I add a GFR media reactor or a cannister filter? Or both even?
Thanks
rookie

200G DT
75G Sump

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have less total water volume than you, but I also have 6 fish and only run filter socks and live rock in sump. Maybe a good skimmer would be a good addition to your system.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have less total water volume than you, but I also have 6 fish and only run filter socks and live rock in sump. Maybe a good skimmer would be a good addition to your system.
Sorry i failed to mention that i do have a Bubble Magus Curve 7 in there as well and it's skimming really well.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are having excess phosphate, you do not need a reactor for GFO. Your skimmer and filter socks should handle most situations. A reactor would be useful to run carbon when you need to. Carbon is useful in removing various chemical nasties from the water. And it can be run sometimes just as insurance. Canister filters are generally seen as having very limited utility in a reef aquarium.

Back