Medicating Corals: What do you keep on hand and what actions do you take?

Do you keep "coral medications" on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 115 42.6%
  • NO

Votes: 148 54.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral get sick and there are many things that can make them sick or contribute to their decline. Sometimes we can figure out the cause but many other times we cannot. But that doesn't mean we don't try everything in our power to to stop the decline and nurse them back to health again. So let's talk about it today!

1. What are some "coral medications" that you keep on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

2. What actions do you take besides medication?

sick scolymia image via @ethierwc
IMG_20180316_171309.jpg

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are some "coral medications" that you keep on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

Frag Recover
Koral Recover
Koral MD
Lugol's
Bayer
CoralRX
Revive
Flatworm eXit
Expel-P
Melafix
Interceptor

Dip Protocol at time of arrival/purchase
QT for new arrivals
QT Sickbay for any sick corals (on demand setup)

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put no but just realised I have coral dip in the cupboard
I use coral power FW dip and no pests have entered the tank since.
If any pests have then the two Halichoeres wrasse I have have spotted them before me

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a hammer lose a head to BJD, the second head was fully retracted, and the neighboring hammering was shrinking. I dosed the whole tank with Cipro over five days. I lost the initial hammer, but the neighbor has been fully extended for the last two days, and the other hammers and torches all look good.

amccue0504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral get sick and there are many things that can make them sick or contribute to their decline. Sometimes we can figure out the cause but many other times we cannot. But that doesn't mean we don't try everything in our power to to stop the decline and nurse them back to health again. So let's talk about it today!

sick scolymia image via @ethierwc
IMG_20180316_171309.jpg
I keep Chemiclean and Cipro for brown jelly and always dip my new corals in either Seachem Reef Dip with Iodine or Coral RX. If a coral doesn't look right and the rest of the tank is fine - I will dip that coral in Coral RX.

Violetaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a hammer lose a head to BJD, the second head was fully retracted, and the neighboring hammering was shrinking. I dosed the whole tank with Cipro over five days. I lost the initial hammer, but the neighbor has been fully extended for the last two days, and the other hammers and torches all look good.
This is a good info. We lost lots of hammer from a new shipment from tonga. it started spreading to our good old stock as well. Only euphyllia was affected, so our plan was to treat with nitrofurazone for a day and then cipro for another two days for all new incoming specimens from the ocean.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mixed success with nursing certain corals back to health with iodine dips (specifically Seachem Reefdip). I've seen it work on a Scoly, and not work on a Scoly. I've also seen it work on a Pocillopora, and not work on a Trachy Brain.

In general, my philosophy is to buy healthy looking specimens, feed them aggressively, and do everything in your power to keep your water parameters stable and on point. Past that, you're always rolling the dice with reefing.

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not know how to medicate a coral? Most of mine are large and attached to live rock. Do I want to medicate my whole tank?

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the world of overnight shipping (for a price) if not in my LFS, why would I stock an inventory of meds at home?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are other threads about Cipro dosing, but would you share your process here?

csamsock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip my coral in hydrogen peroxide. There are really very few effective products (and no medications) freely available for general use in Canada.
What concentration do you use? I have had mixed results with Peroxide.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What concentration do you use? I have had mixed results with Peroxide.
It depends on the purpose of the dip. I use 3% with no dilution for five minutes for algal control and eradication; I do also use the "humblefish formulation" of 150 ppt for longer dips at 30 minutes for incoming frags of uncertain provenance. Yes, that's for fish, and not inverts, but I haven't lost any frags to this yet, although I'll agree that some LPS and softies don't like it very much.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back