Medicating Corals: What do you keep on hand and what actions do you take?

Do you keep "coral medications" on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 115 42.6%
  • NO

Votes: 148 54.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

crazyreefergirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually cut out the problem area. At most, I dipped with iodine solution. Worked out well for me.

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugol's
Bayer
CoralRX
Revive
Flatworm eXit
Melafix

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently had a hammer lose a head to BJD, the second head was fully retracted, and the neighboring hammering was shrinking. I dosed the whole tank with Cipro over five days. I lost the initial hammer, but the neighbor has been fully extended for the last two days, and the other hammers and torches all look good.
Would you mind telling us the dosage per Gallon? Please?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind telling us the dosage per Gallon? Please?
Per the article:
“I used Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg / L. To achieve this I dissolved a 500 mg pill in 50 ml of RODI water, producing a 10 mg / ml solution (which I subsequently stored in the fridge). The aquarium system has 70 gal volume altogether (~265 L), so I added 3.3 ml of this solution to achieve 0.125 mg / L.”

I have 210 gallons so I did 10ml

maleshka21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral get sick and there are many things that can make them sick or contribute to their decline. Sometimes we can figure out the cause but many other times we cannot. But that doesn't mean we don't try everything in our power to to stop the decline and nurse them back to health again. So let's talk about it today!

1. What are some "coral medications" that you keep on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

2. What actions do you take besides medication?

sick scolymia image via @ethierwc
IMG_20180316_171309.jpg
Hi Everyone, here is my little story from 5 month ago. my scoly was losing its fluffiness and was deteriorating it just happened over night for unknown reason. I covered with feeding cup and fed twice a day fish frenzy soaked in the coral restore. It bounce back within a week and it's happy and healthy. Meds I keep Liquid Coral Tissue Nutritional Supplement by Brightwell Aq Restore and Seachem Reef Dip ( this one is pure iodine).

B4835FA3-FAB0-4030-9674-C2DCF095944F.jpeg 175BB767-26C2-40C8-B1E6-C0603BF3B6FD.jpeg C0E10B4A-A734-4AB7-AB66-6710C799564A.jpeg 2F422FA0-5B2D-434D-A3D3-E1B68A31A2F1.jpeg A6A236C2-E2FB-4EA7-A61B-B59CF82BAA9D.jpeg

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral get sick and there are many things that can make them sick or contribute to their decline. Sometimes we can figure out the cause but many other times we cannot. But that doesn't mean we don't try everything in our power to to stop the decline and nurse them back to health again. So let's talk about it today!

1. What are some "coral medications" that you keep on hand to help slow or stop the decline of a sick coral?

2. What actions do you take besides medication?

sick scolymia image via @ethierwc
IMG_20180316_171309.jpg
I've only used Coral RX. Never Bayer. It contains carcinogenic pesticide compounds.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip my coral in hydrogen peroxide. There are really very few effective products (and no medications) freely available for general use in Canada.
Try Amazon. I bought " underwater creations " reef vibrant, PraziPro, " Fritz " Coppersafe, And most important : " seachem " MetroPlex " key ingrediant metronidazole. Some are for quarantine purpose. The last is an anti biotic key for Chidlids bloat amongst other things

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the world of overnight shipping (for a price) if not in my LFS, why would I stock an inventory of meds at home?
Well I lost 20 of my cichlids to bloat. Mind you I live in Canada. The stores cannot stock meds here. If I had it on hand they all would be alive.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a hammer lose a head to BJD, the second head was fully retracted, and the neighboring hammering was shrinking. I dosed the whole tank with Cipro over five days. I lost the initial hammer, but the neighbor has been fully extended for the last two days, and the other hammers and torches all look good.
Heard that Cipro is very effective but it is a prescription drug here in Singapore, are there any alternatives?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip my coral in hydrogen peroxide. There are really very few effective products (and no medications) freely available for general use in Canada.
Could you please share the dilution/mixing ratio for dipping corals? Can hydrogen peroxide be dosed into the tank? Thanks.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RX for new corals, works well to rid them of pests (though far from perfect.) Iodine also can work, but I rarely use for that reason.

Revive and Iodine for repair/emergency/infection.
Can share instruction/ratio of iodine for coral treatment? Thanks.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please share the dilution/mixing ratio for dipping corals? Can hydrogen peroxide be dosed into the tank? Thanks.
You can dose hydrogen peroxide in your tank. Proceed with caution, as it can have unintended side effects (especially on your inverts), and read through the many threads on this site on the subject before you start. I've found hydrogen peroxide to be useful in topical applications, but it certainly won't "fix" any longstanding issues that you might have in your build.

I dip my frags directly in a 3% solution for five minutes. You must take care with this as well, as not all coral will tolerate this. I dip primarily for algae control on frags.

maleshka21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this iodine solution from the drug store (but it contains alcohol)
20210922_120426.jpg
20210922_120417.jpg

Can I use it for dipping?
I'm not sure stuff i used is
Seachem Reef Dip Coral Disinfectant by Seachem
Safe to use with both stony and soft corals, also safe for anemones and polyps. Ingredients: Aqua (water), Alumininum Chlorohydrate, Alcohol Denat, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

Back