Medication in Display Tank?

Roman009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are my abilities and limitations on dosing medications directly into a FOWLR Tank? No corals - no inverts whatsoever.

I did not QT any of my fish but am wondering if I can make up for that oversight by doing it directly in the tank itself?

90g. Fish only - mostly Butterflies, Tangs, clown and a bird wrasse.

Possible? Problematic?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problematic with most, impossible with many. What are you treating for and what parasite or disease are you dealing with? Were you planning on using copper? It will be very difficult to eradicate parasites in a display with fish in it.

OP
OP
Roman009

Roman009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problematic with most, impossible with many. What are you treating for and what parasite or disease are you dealing with? Were you planning on using copper? It will be very difficult to eradicate parasites in a display with fish in it.

nothing specific noted. Just kinda curious. What would be the challenges? The only thing that’s different from my QT and DT is the size and that it has rock and sand. General Cure indicates that it wont affect the bacteria.Running carbon afterwards should clear it all out.

I know properly doing copper would be challenging - and I doubt I’d even attempt it - but the more basic meds shouldbe easier, right?

I dunno - I’m no expert. I’d be curious why it would not work though.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, rock and sand can and will absorb and leech most medications, especially copper. Makes proper dosing a nightmare on top of making pulling it out after treatment nearly impossible. Since you don't have anything sensitive to copper and whatnot, it really wouldn't be a big deal except for maintaining the dosage.

Best course would be if at all possible, remove the rock and sand, put it in the QT to keep the bacteria going.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must, I'd suggest medicating the food and have them eat that rather than attempting to bring the DT up to therapeutic levels for any medication.

That being said, if there isn't currently a problem, don't medicate!!!

And FWIW - at least IMHO, API General Cure doesn't. (cure anything other than making sure your wallet has a minimum of cash in it)

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the main issue would be removal of the medication for the sand this is the real problem as medication can be stuck in there. this is also the inhibiting factor for treating the display tank in the first place anything can be stored in the sand and unless the tank goes fallow for the recommended period you might as well not have done it at all.

So the long and the short of it is: get a UV filter and/or empty the tank and let it go fallow for min of 80 days.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back