Medium/large blotches on bristletooth tang

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I picked up this juvenile bristletooth tang (unknown species but hopefully c. flavicauda :D) a few days ago, and noticed some light, medium to large blotches that increased in number over the past couple days. I saw one or two this weekend, and count 5 or 6 now.

My best guess is some larger external parasite like a fluke, hook type worm, or similar. I have not treated at all, nor done any fw dip. I have kanaplex, metroplex, furan2, general cure, prazipro, cupramine, and even a little bit of CP on hand (one dose I believe).

The marks imo are much too large to be ich or especially velvet, with a clear defined border and don't appear to be collections of smaller spots. They have no visible texture (like lympho) and seem to be flush with the skin. I've no personal experience with uronema, but I do not see any redness on or around the marks. The lfs where I bought this fish is not known to have the most healthy fish, but this fish was healthy and eating on two separate occasions about a week apart, looked and acted as I'd hope both times.

He's still acting healthy (grazing on rocks and glass) and eating (lrs herbivore), though very shy (hides when I walk by). I've got him as the only resident in an established nuvo 10...a sort of observation tank in lieu of a proper qt (though a hospital tank and larger qt are both options). I've found that bristletooth tangs get hlle easily in sterile tanks and this fish is grazing on some nice hair algae so seems happy.

Any ideas? TIA!

IMG_20190806_211826.jpg IMG_20190806_210233_1.jpg IMG_20190806_210233.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Yellow eye kole tang.

Spots are definitely of concern. Can't see much in pics provided. I know fish are hard to photograph, but more up close clear pics would be helpful.

Could be flukes, bacterial, or parasites. A FW dip for 5 minutes would be a great place to start in order to rule out flukes first.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like bacterial but light is dark. I agree on Dip and then try PraziPro and/or vitamins in food and garlic also

OP
OP
L

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, got home today and the spots were in the same areas and the same shapes but less visible. For that reason I suspect bacterial, the fact that they're diminishing would indicate successful immune system response at least for now. Will keep this updated daily as needed.

OP
OP
L

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Yellow eye kole tang.

Spots are definitely of concern. Can't see much in pics provided. I know fish are hard to photograph, but more up close clear pics would be helpful.

Could be flukes, bacterial, or parasites. A FW dip for 5 minutes would be a great place to start in order to rule out flukes first.
Regarding species...that's another topic, my best guess right now, particularly due to eye color and tail shape, is c truncatus. Still gunning for c flavicauda though!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, got home today and the spots were in the same areas and the same shapes but less visible. For that reason I suspect bacterial, the fact that they're diminishing would indicate successful immune system response at least for now. Will keep this updated daily as needed.
Feeding high quality foods and adding supplements like selcon, vitachem, etc will help as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back