Medium large worm

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t match it to any of the worms in the common critter sticky (i.e. did not appear to be a bristle, fireworm, or bobbit), but I have zero experience identifying worms. Set up my tank by starting with live rock and sand from the gulf (Tampa Bay Saltwater) about a month ago. This is the first I’ve seen of this worm this morning when the lights came on, so I think it is nocturnal. What do you think it is? Thanks!

088A3F2A-44E0-438B-AA44-97AB09B4BE3C.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks; I was ruling that out as I thought bristleworms had lots of thinner, closely-spaced legs and the legs on the pictured worm seem to me to be fewer, thicker and more separated than the bristleworm.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn’t look like a typical bristle worm but could be in the same family. I would isolate for now until you know if it’s a predator to fish/corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is far from a bristleworm and is in the Genus Pareurythoe which is a Amphinoid rellated to fireworm.

OP
OP
T

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is far from a bristleworm and is in the Genus Pareurythoe which is a Amphinoid rellated to fireworm.
Thanks so much! I was googling the genus you provided and I found this site which seems super helpful for identifying worms. Seems like your suggestion Genus Pareurythoe is a near perfect match with the picture. The site says that all but 1 genus of the fireworms (Hermodice carunculata) are perfectly harmless and actually helpful in aquariums. Thanks again!

Edit: So I'll be leaving it in the aquarium, but if you have any concerns, please let me know.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back