Meet Harley the asterina starfish slayer

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I floated the bag in the tank for 20-30 minutes to equalize temperature then I put him in. He wasn’t active in the tank, which I thought might be normal for a day or two. I don’t know if he died first or if the crabs killed him. Is there something I could’ve done differently?
you may want to drip acclimate next time... that seems to help a lot.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to drip acclimate next time... that seems to help a lot.
I got a new one today and drip acclimated and floated the bag until the salinity in the bag matched the tank. I put some asterinas in the bag and he chowed down. I transferred him into the tank and he disappeared into the rocks, which I figure is normal. This one is way more active and ate well, so I’m optimistic. How long to they tend to hide out while they’re getting used to their new surroundings?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new one today and drip acclimated and floated the bag until the salinity in the bag matched the tank. I put some asterinas in the bag and he chowed down. I transferred him into the tank and he disappeared into the rocks, which I figure is normal. This one is way more active and ate well, so I’m optimistic. How long to they tend to hide out while they’re getting used to their new surroundings?
they seem to be mostly nocturnal (or at least low light). I wouldn't expect to see him a lot during they day unless he is super hungry and on the hunt. mine also seems to favor the back of the tank.. :(

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they seem to be mostly nocturnal (or at least low light). I wouldn't expect to see him a lot during they day unless he is super hungry and on the hunt. mine also seems to favor the back of the tank.. :(
I saw him once yesterday. How long do you think it will take him to clean up my 40g of asterinas? After that I’ll need to get him food

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw him once yesterday. How long do you think it will take him to clean up my 40g of asterinas? After that I’ll need to get him food

not very long.. though i doubt he will get them all (before starving).. depends on how hard they are to find.. i had thousands in a 250, mine cleaned them all up in less than a month.. i had to take him out (moved him to a new aquarium) because i didnt want to put unsafe stars in my reef tank (chocolate chip) for him to eat. i feel bad everytime i feed him a big starfish.. but such is life. now that he's been out of my big tank for a few months i have a few asternia again.. so clearly a few made it (it is a huge tank for one shrimp). he now eats a full CC every 3-5 weeks in a 8 gallon.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now y'all have me thinking about a harley. I've got a 120g and have never had an issue with asterinas but I suppose gettting rid of them would be ok just in case. I've got stars in the sump also. I suppose it would be best to rehome after the stars are gone. Maybe tank for a while then move to the sump. Sound about right?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not very long.. though i doubt he will get them all (before starving).. depends on how hard they are to find.. i had thousands in a 250, mine cleaned them all up in less than a month.. i had to take him out (moved him to a new aquarium) because i didnt want to put unsafe stars in my reef tank (chocolate chip) for him to eat. i feel bad everytime i feed him a big starfish.. but such is life. now that he's been out of my big tank for a few months i have a few asternia again.. so clearly a few made it (it is a huge tank for one shrimp). he now eats a full CC every 3-5 weeks in a 8 gallon.
So far he has plenty. I’ve been seeing him chowing down. It’s hard to believe one little shrimp could clean out the hundreds I must have so quickly. What kind of starfish can I put in a 40g that won’t cause problems once the asterinas are under control?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back