Meet Our Expanding Family of Plankton

Discussion in 'Reef Nutrition' started by Reef Nutrition, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Reef Nutrition

Reef Nutrition Well-Known Member

Tags:

2. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Active Member Louisiana Reef Club

I know the purpose of this is to show the live foods you offer, but I would love to see something similar to this showing off your various liquid feed products.

Reef Nutrition likes this.
  3. Reef Nutrition

I can do a product spotlight every week, detailing use and storage of our various Reef Nutrition and Reed Mariculture products. Is that sort of what you had in mind? I really look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Chad

JoshH, tweeter, jsker and 5 others like this.
  4. clsanchez77

Well, I mean a picture chart comparing product sizes like the one above.

5. Reef Nutrition

Product Use Chart.jpg

Like this @clsanchez77 ?

Chad

tapout, Lovemyreef2015, dricc and 8 others like this.
  6. clsanchez77

Perfect! Let me guess, already on your site somewhere :D

jsker and Reef Nutrition like this.
  7. Reef Nutrition

LOL! Actually, it isn't on our site, though it probably should be; but we do have a nifty feed selector here: http://reefnutrition.com/feed_selector.php

Chad

jsker, Cary and clsanchez77 like this.
  8. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Awesome Chad!

Cary and Reef Nutrition like this.
  9. Reef Nutrition

Anything we can do to help the customer make an informed decision!

Cheers buddy!

Reef man 89, clsanchez77 and Cary like this.
  10. Cary

Cary Well-Known Member

My fish also love your oyster feast.. Especially the one I use as my avatar.

Reef Nutrition and clsanchez77 like this.
  11. bh750

bh750 Active Member

Hi Chad, which of your products would you recommend adding simply for biodiversty in a reef tank? things that could reproduce into a sustainable culture (like your pods)? I just added some more refugium space for just that reason and would love any guidance!

Cary likes this.
  12. clsanchez77

I do know about/use the feed selector: http://reefnutrition.com/feed_calculator.php
    While it's good at noting the variety of foods beneficial, I am having a hard time swallowing that your Feed Calculator is suggesting I need to feed my tank between 40 ml and 106 ml of food daily. Based on comparative moisture contents, thats like 25 cubes of food :eek:

13. Reef Nutrition

Thanks for bringing this to light. While there is definitely a problem with the way the calculator is setup, we typically don't have customers that have all of our products at one time. We will sit down and look at the best way to communicate to people on how to manage feeding with multiple products.

Chad

Reef man 89 likes this.
  14. Reef Nutrition

Copepods are always a good way to increase zooplankton biodiversity. Harpacticoid (Order) copepods, like Tigriopus californicus (AKA Tigger-Pods), are good candidates. Keep in mind that there are inevitably going to be other crustaceans like amphipods that will compete against copepods for space and food. Also, and this kind of throws a wrench into the plan, some amphipods are known to eat copepods! Copepods stand a good chance of survival in a refugium with macro algae and places to hide. They also benefit from a blend of phytoplankton. In the end, there's no guarantee that copepods will set up shop in a tank or refugium due to forces beyond control, but it doesn't mean 100% failure 100% of the time.

Chad

Reef man 89 and Cary like this.
  15. Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project Reef Addict R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Chad, I would love something like this to be able to link to from our website! A short video about the product and its targeted creatures, possibly with an example of it being fed/consumed would be a perfect compliment to your chart.

Tristren and Reef Nutrition like this.
  16. Reef Nutrition

Once the dust settles from all my travels this year, I will put something together.

Chad

Tristren, Cary and Js.Aqua.Project like this.
  17. Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project Reef Addict R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Quick (slightly off topic) question, are A. Panamensis benthic or pelagic?

18. Reef Nutrition

They are kind of both. At least that's what I am seeing in my cultures. In a reef tank, they are totally benthic. In culture, the nauplii and even the adults will drift around pelagically, but I do see the adults crawling on surfaces as well. We never see the nauplii behaving benthically in the culture which makes it easy to passively harvest them.

Chad

19. bh750

bh750 Active Member

Awesome feedback. I have some more work to do. Right now I have four 10 gallon tanks plumbed together as refugiums and feeding into my display. The first tank is teeming with live. Macro with a grow led and copepods, amphiods, mysis. It's like a zoo and there's so many of them. I'm expecting them to move downstream into the other tanks. And eventually the display. I feed them pellets every day when I feed my display.

20. clsanchez77

I'm all ears :D I have a 110 gallon reef with Florida Aquacultured Rock and I started it with Phyto-Feast and Oyster-Feast. My fish were all QT'd on ROE and Acrti-Pods. I had switched everything to frozen foods and had a significant increase in nuisance algae. I currently feed about 40 grams of frozen food daily - 20 grams twice a day. I still maintained phyto-feast, oyster-feats and oyster eggs mixed in the frozen food. I have great growth of gorgonias, LPS, solitary cup corals (NPS), sponges, zebra clams and solitary hydroids. The tank is almost 2 years old now and I have all the animals everyone else says to scrape off and throw away because they will die (heck, does anyone buy aquaculture rock anymore?). I just bought a thermoelectric fridge to set in my stand and I have been experimenting with ice packs to see how long it can hold 45F...so far a week going strong with one ice pack inside. Can't do it without the icepack, 50F at best.

My Reef Nutrition order just arrived yesterday ;). I was the order that was one of each 6 oz bottle. My plan is to mix it all together and dose it to the tank on an hourly bases. Not the tiggerpods, Im undecided if I want to add to the refugium or culture them first. I have a large gammarus pod population.

My thinking is the tank will handle the same volume of food much better in smaller doses throughout the day instead of a large dump twice daily. Dosing pumps are on order and should be here tomorrow. I just have not figured how much liquid food I should feed daily.

110 gallon inhabitants include: 2 Atlantic Blue Chromis, 4 Royal Gramma, 1 Red Spotted Hawkfish, 2 Neon Gobies, 5 Masked Gobies, 3 Cherub Angels (in QT #1), 1 Seaweed Blenny (in QT #2), 2 Purple Sea Rods, 3 Golden Spiny Rods, 1 Purple Flume, 1 Large Ouphyllia, 5 Kingslayer Favia frags, 3 Platygyra frags, 2 Diploastrea frags, 1 Baby's Breath Favia frag, 4 Caulastrea clusters, a 3 headed Lobophyllia, 3 clusters of colonial cup corals, at least a dozen scattered solitary hidden cup corals, 5 Zebra Clams, Captain America polyps and Palythoa Grandis polyps. I plan to cap this reef with an easy SPS (yellow birdsnest perhaps) and to include Leptoastrea frags in all the shaded areas. Aside from that, the tank is just about fully stocked. I have 7 varieties of red and green macro algae in the tank (and a little cyanno too!). Tank has a 6 gallon fuge with chaetomorpha, 3 varieties of caulerpa and chocked full of gammarus pods (Inland Aquatics).

Draft saved Draft deleted