kschweer

Zoas!!!
View Badges
Reaction score

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
A little overdue with this, but here it goes...

First Name:
David

Why you chose your screen name:
Well I could tell you it stands for ‘double’ because I’m a twin , or I’m double trouble, or it has a double meaning. The reality is, it’s not that exciting, it’s just my initials.

Current tank specs:
120g peninsula mixed reef

Build thread:
Main Tank Build thread can be found here
Mobile QT/Frag Tank can be found here

Area of strength in the hobby:

I can honestly say I still learn something every day. I enjoy designing and putting systems together, including building stands. I guess it’s easiest just to stay I’m a Jack of all trades and a master of none!

Favorite hobby outside reefing:

I enjoy golfing and actually used to be very good, but don’t play much any more. I also love woodworking and have been focusing on getting back in to that hobby lately.

How long have you been reef keeping:
Just about four years now, but I still consider myself a rookie.

It was 30 years ago this past May that I married my high school sweatheart, so we’ve actually been together for 36 years. We’ve raised two daughters; well she raised two daughters and I just take all the credit. Eldest was married last year and the younger one just finished college in May and is now gainfully employed forging her own way too.

God has blessed us in so many ways and we so very thankful for our family and friends. I’m also blessed with the many new friends and family I’ve met here on R2R, many of which I’ve never met in person. So I’ve got that to look forward to!

Happy Reefing!

20171116_190410.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
First Name

Jeffrey

Why You chose your screen name

It is an abbreviation of my full name

Current Tanks

72 Gallon bow front

Future Tank

90 cube

Build Thread

My 72 Bowfront link

Area of strength in the hobby

None really, and I say this because every day is a new learning experience in this hobby. If I must say, you will see me dabbling in DIY, Lighting, chemistry, and disease for corals and fish.

What else do I do outside of reefing

Cook, woodworking, building computers things that are challenging.
Lightroom Fix-5195.jpg

How long have I had tanks?

I started about 35 years ago with fresh water tanks. I had a 35 hex, 75 gallons and a 150 at one-point fresh water. I had to sell off the 75 and the 150 and converted my 35 in to my first saltwater tank. Some how I broke the front glass of the 35 with a coffee cup feeding the fish with frozen. I upgraded to a 75 the next day. I have pretty much had 75-gallon tanks from then on.

I have taken some breaks along the way, current system is my most successful system by far with all the improvement in reef keeping.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
FFDA42C5-1FA7-4A6C-9956-CFAA649FADDD.jpeg
51AE836D-1A3E-495B-9D6B-5218D4B0BD4C.png

First Name: Jason

Why You chose your screen name: Well, I owned 4 Fords. I sold one, but I’ll be at 4 or 5 in short order I’m a bit addicted to automobiles. I’ve had 26 Fords now, all but one I’ve loved. I used to flip cars to get through college and I’ve had many old Fords with 300-468k miles on the original drivetrain. I currently own a 2012 F150 4x4, 2013 Fusion Titanium, and a 2016 Explorer Sport AWD. Next will be a 1970 or so classic mustang, considering a 2018 expedition, and GT500 if I get my money right!

Well, they said to bring pics.
176E9E14-99CA-4CD2-A664-CE3201C7AEB0.jpeg

Wife’s car
0E8E723E-B047-4662-9A3A-55722DC4818C.jpeg

Heavy Betty
B4F7B80A-3E35-41EE-A795-7A58B338D77F.jpeg

Trusty Gray at the old house

Current Tank Specs:
Well as of right now I have a 180 reef with tons of tangs and inexpensive easy coral. I also have a Red Sea reefer 170 I won here for the partner member contest. At one point though I had a 125 wrasse reef with 20 wrasse in it, a 180 angel tank with 8 angels in it, and my tang tank had 8 tangs or so in it.

For the moment though, that’s it. I’m planning a 10-12 foot wall tank for the future— for the large angels long-term! Stay tuned!

D78D6280-78F1-4869-8CB1-48040A505DEA.jpeg

520081D4-D02B-4045-9CA3-EC55869329C2.jpeg

To be truthfully honest it depresses me to see pics of my tank after the accident Feb 2017 when I lost 2/3 tanks aforementioned and a whole quarantine full of fish ready to come out to a power outage while on vacation. I don’t take many pics of it for that reason I suspect.

Build Thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/modest-beginnings-of-my-last-180.327776/

Will be one for the wall tank, featuring my “handy” guy @HotRocks (we live within 5 minutes of each other and are close friends outside of the forum, many of you know him as the Hanna Copper Checker Guy! :D)

Fish and fish disease. I know my fish well, I know my expert level fish well (idols, regals, leopard wrass, etc) and I am primarily on the fish disease forum. Tangs, angels, and wrasse are and have been about 90% of my inhabitants. I stock tanks heavily (I really struggle with moderation...)

Cars. Hands down. I like customizing them (or designing them and letting someone else do the work because I have zero patience and break everything I touch — I’m not handy).

14 years now. I’ve had 3-4 tanks running at any given time since the start. Including quarantines I guess I’m at 4.

More Info:

I am married since 2012 to my beautiful wife. As of now I have a 2 year old son and 4 year old daughter (currently my avatar).

I am a sales manager and I also secure jumbo reverse mortgages for wealthy clients to use as financial tools. I studied undergraduate at IU Kelley School of Business in Indianapolis Indiana with degrees in Marketing and International business. I have an MBA from Butler University. I also have an economics minor, something I am very interested in as well, but that’s a controversial topic I will leave it at that.

I’m a pretty direct person, I have a pretty bad sense of humor I don’t really show here, and I am a very blessed, God-fearing man. Happy reefing!

Last edited:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted to update my previous thread. I still have the 180 up and running and nothing much has changed since the last update post. Well, there was one major "upgrade"

FB_IMG_1520638136573.jpg

Meet Sofia Rose Sebek. She's now almost 9 months old and one of the loves of my life.

FB_IMG_1521504010726.jpg

Here is a picture of Sofia with her older sister Jasmine who is now 5 years old.

Other than that I can only suggest checking out my build thread if you want the up and up on my tank haha.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hybridazns-180-gallon-build.189795/

And lastly I just want to thank the membership for making this forum so awesome! Without you we would be stuck here by ourselves and it would be boring, I can only pick on these guys and gals so much everyday lol.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score

First Name: Tom

Why You chose your screen name: Have used it since I first started playing online games, and its just stuck since then!

Current Tank Specs: 40g tank that is in the works

Build Thread: Do not currently have one since starting the new tank up :( Battling an algae problem already

Area of strength in the hobby: LPS/Acans mostly

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Outdoor type things, hiking, biking, rock climbing, SCUBA diving, ect (and video games!)

How long have you been reef keeping: About 6 years give or take

cameronh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted to update my previous thread. I still have the 180 up and running and nothing much has changed since the last update post. Well, there was one major "upgrade"

FB_IMG_1520638136573.jpg

Meet Sofia Rose Sebek. She's now almost 9 months old and one of the loves of my life.

FB_IMG_1521504010726.jpg

Here is a picture of Sofia with her older sister Jasmine who is now 5 years old.

Other than that I can only suggest checking out my build thread if you want the up and up on my tank haha.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hybridazns-180-gallon-build.189795/

And lastly I just want to thank the membership for making this forum so awesome! Without you we would be stuck here by ourselves and it would be boring, I can only pick on these guys and gals so much everyday lol.
Whats up man, long time no talk. Hope all is well.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score

d2mini

View Badges
Reaction score
First Name:
Dennis

Why You chose your screen name:
It's an old screen name from my mini cooper days.
The "d2" i use a lot because of my two "D" initials in my full name. Friends used to call me d2 or d-squared.

Current Tank Specs:
Elos 120XL (approx dims: 47"x31"x19")

Building a system to fit (aesthetically and proportionally) into the given space, and then piecing that system together from start to finish, keeping it fairly organized and as simple as possible.
I rely on some of the more old school techniques/equipment, trying not to get too caught up in all the new gear and trends, unless I truly see an advantage.
I also have an affinity for a more "natural" looking reef with sponges, gorgonians and interesting inverts.

Photography, Cars (currently a Jeep Wrangler), keeping fit (getting into body building this year and in the best shape of my life at 44).

How long have you been reefkeeping:
Dabbled a little previously but in it full time for the past 11 years.

Maritimer

View Badges
Reaction score
First Name:
Bruce

Why You chose your screen name:
I work two jobs - one pays the bills, the other feeds my soul. That one is "Education Lite" at the local Public Aquarium, The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk. Thirty years ago, I saw a little storefront office, stepped inside and offered my services as a volunteer. Been there ever since.

Current Tank Specs:
My current obsession ... erm, _tank_ - is a 220 gallon that I picked up when my then fave LFS was in the throes of closing down. There are a brace of MarsAqua "black boxes" hanging above it, and a 40-Breeder underneath it. Inside the 40-B, there are three socks, a block of Marine-Pure with a basket of rubble on top of it, a Deltec 1455 skimmer, a couple of bags of carbon/GFO, and a Fluval-Sea SP-6 to push water back to the display. Once it gets there, there are a brace of Gyre X-50 powerheads to keep that water moving. They're running on one controller, and set to forward/reverse flow mode, with their timings just a bit off, so that the patterns change throughout the day.

There's another block of Marine-Pure buried beneath the right-hand rock formation, which offers a lower flow habitat for ... whatever wants to hide there. Rock in this tank is a combination of Pukani (purchased as "airfreight" rock, but arrived with no sign of multicellular life), "dead" shelf and branch rock, and 60# of _live_ rock from the Florida Keys. That stuff, algaes, hitchhiking pests and all, just makes the tank infinitely more fascinating!

Most corals seem to be doing well: SPS, zoanthids, faviids - even one or two things I can't identify, but _acans_ can't seem to get along here.
20180404_170412.jpg

Build Thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/zoeys-reef-is-growing-up.271001/#post-3252345

"Kingston & Zoey's Reef" is dedicated to two of my grandchildren, who were stillborn. It's a "warts-and-all" build thread, documenting the bad days and the good.

I think I'm moderately competent when it comes to fish and invertebrate identification and behavior, and I've had to learn more than I ever wanted to about diseases and what makes 'em go away. I seem to spend a lot of time in the disease forum . . .

Once upon a time, I spent every moment I could outside; fishing, hiking, biking, hunting, kayaking, Scuba diving and snorkeling. I'm hoping someday, that'll become a passion again. Each year, a group of friends and I head out into the wild Atlantic Ocean for encounters with big, charismatic wildlife: dolphins, whales ... and sharks. That's a fun swim!
Bruce Shillinglaw, 2017 Shark Dive (Joe Lockridge).jpg

I've also loved traveling when I get the chance, but don't often get the chance. My most recent vacation, as of this writing, was in 2010 - but it was a doozey, a visit to Kyoto.

I do like to draw things, and have been fascinated by paleontology since I was a lad, so drew some dinosaurs and illustrated a children's book or two back in the day.

In this most recent iteration, I re-started just about two and a half years ago, with a 65 gallon reef. I had a 55 gallon for a while, back in ... 1986 or so? It's not really the same hobby any more . . .

The 65 stayed up for about a year and a half, with considerable overlap before finally moving everything into the 220.

More Info:
I think I got my first tank when I was about seven. That one had a metal frame, and was filtered by a state-of-the-art plastic box in the back right corner, filled with glass-fibre "angel hair". (Other than being submersible - I don't think _heaters_ have changed very much since then!) That tank, with its steel frame, held fresh water - which is OK, because that's all anyone was keeping in those days. It wasn't until later, when tanks were made from glass and silicone, that saltwater began to take off - and the _colors_ of those blue damselfish!!! Being a kid with a paper route, I couldn't well afford such an expensive hobby, but had plenty of time during the summers to go down to the shore and collect native marine fish, from killies and pipefish to young flounders and blackfish (a cold-water wrasse). We'd even go out to Long Island once a year with the local Aquarium Society, and collect tropical fish that drifted north on the Gulf Stream: butterflies, sea-horses, Boston-bean boxfish, a few different kinds of filefish, lookdowns and even small barracuda.

I've had at least a freshwater tank ever since, but stepped away from salt while my kids were young, and then as my wife became more and more ill. After she passed away in 2015, the reef-bug bit pretty hard - it's probably my version of the "red sportscar".

There's one other thing that keeps me (mostly) sane: two kids (one of each) and two vibrant, delightful granddaughters.
Granddaughters on Christmas, 2017.jpg

~Bruce, who's utterly fascinated by the natural world, and gets a strong sense of satisfaction from helping others experience that wonder and find success in their own reefing endeavors

Crabs McJones

Mayor of R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Name: Zach
Year started reefing: 2015
Why you choose your user name and avatar: My wife actually gave me the nickname crabs mcjones so I've kind of stuck with it. And my avatar is tamatoa from the movie Moana, because hes a crab, and I'm crabs;)
Favorite fish: Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Favorite coral: Rose Garden Millepora
And a little about yourself: I am happily married, my wife's name is Katherine and we have two children. A 6 year old named Grace, and a 2 year old named Paige. We live in Wisconsin but have hopes in the future to move down south. In my free time I enjoy being outside with my family going on bike rides and playing at the park. I also enjoy working on cars. I've rebuild engines and transmissions on both my own and family members vehicles. When my children allow me to i'm also an avid video game player. I really like first person shooter as well as puzzle games and RPG's.
Build Thread Link: Crab's 40 Gallon Breeder

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Rate your current reefing satisfaction level! (CLICK HERE)

• Very satisfied

Votes: 173 45.4%
  • Just satisfied

Votes: 94 24.7%
  • Somewhat satsified

Votes: 81 21.3%
  • Not satisfied

Votes: 33 8.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Aquaticlife
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!