Meeting lastnight..

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well since I cant post at RC to talk about it..
I will say it here. I think Calfo is an idiot. He is still spweing the same CRAP he did when I had it out with him on marinedepot and banned me there so he didnt have to answer what he is wrong about.
First off..I knew his WHOLE talk woulda been about using the flash because he believes that is the only way to shoot and if you do different you are wrong..Just like his WRONG statement in the begining "If someone tells you not to use flash thats bad advice" WRONG.
Then he goes on to tell everyone to stick the camera SMACK up on the glass and does not address the issues that ALL lenses have a Minimum focus distance until I said it. If not everyone woulda turned out to haveing blurry pics once more because they lens just cannot focus. For those who have the ability to shoot RAW DO IT. He says raw has no use but once again WRONG..Shooting RAW over JPEG makes life soooo much easier. He can use his toilet paper to try and adjust the white balance but in RAW none of the info is embdded to the image yet so you have COMPLETE control over it in post and can adjust the white balance in 5sec and have MUCH MUCH better results then using custom WB. I am sure he was confusing people because he kept using the term Film speed for shutter speed and ISO speed..FILM speed is only 1 thing. That would be the ISO speed. Then ther eis Depth of field. If you have a point and shoot do not be afraid to shoot at the widest aperture it offers. Since point and shoots have such small sensor even using f2.8 on a point n shoot is almost like shooting at f8 on a DSLR you will have a large dpeth of field. I bit my tounge lastnight just to not make a scene but I knew that talk was going to be 90% about flash. and for him to say if someone says dont use it is bad advice just goes to show that if your not shooting his way then your WRONG...End rant...

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to back you on your methods since they are similar to mine.

Glad you make mention ofthis so people know that there is more than just his way for proper shooting.

and flash is the devil btw.
(my imo, LOL)

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well flash can be good..but flash is THE devil IF you do not know how to use it..it is a very tricky thing to get lighting CORRECT. But to make a statement of saying that if someone tells you NOT to use a flash its just bad advice..I am sorry saying that is just BAD advice.

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well flash can be good..but flash is THE devil IF you do not know how to use it..it is a very tricky thing to get lighting CORRECT. But to make a statement of saying that if someone tells you NOT to use a flash its just bad advice..I am sorry saying that is just BAD advice.

sorry I shoulda clarified, I believe most people see the flash as too much of a dependency rather then attempting to learn step 1, they bounce to step 2 to make it easy.

I see it as a crutch to a learning curve for new shooters.

his comment of against the glass with the lens shows the heavy dependency on flash since then that dodges flash reflecting on the tank. (based on what you said, since I was not there)

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I missed the meeting last night. I have a point of sale P&S camera but looking to get an entry level DSLR. Where is the best place to get "how to" info for macro shooting and shooting reef tanks. Or is it more of a situation where you need to experiment with your specific camera? I am truly a NOOOOOOOB when it comes to cameras in general. I love the pics I have seen you post Jon and also Jesse's (Misled) pics

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BH photo, Adorama, Amazon are good places
entry level cams are the Canon Rebels, and Nikon D40/D60
I am a canon Person so I say get a rebel..More bang for the buck.
As for tank shooting..there is NO 1 way to shoot..Every shot is a different setting..Light changes throughout the tank at all times and its difficult to just try to put it at one setting and go..I am always changing my shutter speeds, aperture and ISO speeds...If you get a DSLR you can comfortably shoot up to ISO 1600 and not worry about much noise..but with a Point n shoot you are limited to about ISO400 before the shots become useless from the amount of noise.
Shutter speed is important for fish..for corals it does not matter so a tripod and using Aperture value will be a great thing. because even with a 2second shutter you wont have to worry about the coral moving..just turn off the pumps.
like this shot here was taken at a 1/3sec
KH5V0427.jpg

this was like a 5sec shutter
IMG_6717.jpg

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naurally.

the first thing I teach people about photoshop and cameras is there is where you want to go, (I point somewhere)

now there is a 100 roads for you to take to get there. LoL! you have to find what works for you. "i will show you the roads I take to give you an idea" blah blah blahhhhhh

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Naurally.

the first thing I teach people about photoshop and cameras is there is where you want to go, (I point somewhere)

now there is a 100 roads for you to take to get there. LoL! you have to find what works for you. "i will show you the roads I take to give you an idea" blah blah blahhhhhh
yea thats usually how it work..you understand how the camera works..with shutter speed/fstop and ISO then you learn how to shoot the way you want..Lastnight was basically..I will show you how I shoot and thats how to shoot..if you do different your wrong.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never met calfo in person so cant say from personal experience but from what ive heard from many people, he is a complete *********

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its one thing to disagree with how some one does things and if you feel your way is better than theirs than fine but to call him and idiot and a ********* is childish. grow up i am horrible at taking pics of my tank and his speech helped me out so he knows what he is talking about. your way may be better for you and work for you but he is helping out the average person with simple and easy steps that DID work. he is a great speaker and adds alot of humor when he speaks and that helps out the average person.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I missed that humor. I for one think his talk was contradicting and almost seemed like to cause people more issues taking pics then helping.

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was like a 5sec shutter
IMG_6717.jpg
That is a SICK picture!

Once I get my new lighting up, I need to have you come over and take some shots of my tank. I'd love to see what someone could do if they had a nice camera and knew how to use it.

A new camera is a LONG way off for me... too many other expenses tank wise right now. My point and shoot has worked ok for now... but none of my pictures look anything like that!

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its one thing to disagree with how some one does things and if you feel your way is better than theirs than fine but to call him and idiot and a ********* is childish. grow up i am horrible at taking pics of my tank and his speech helped me out so he knows what he is talking about. your way may be better for you and work for you but he is helping out the average person with simple and easy steps that DID work. he is a great speaker and adds alot of humor when he speaks and that helps out the average person.

I know literally nothing about shooting photography, and accidentally stumbled on my white balance setting just before this meeting. I found his talk to be interesting and informative. While he was pointing out one specific way to do things, I will admit that I thought his photographs were impressive, and that I am definitely not a person to criticize someone who does this for a living. I think that it's always important to take things with a grain of salt. If you aren't listening/learning critically, then you'll fall for a lot of things. Personally I've NEVER had a good shot with a flash, but was willing to mess with stuff in the camera, and see if I could get one with a flash. If it didn't work out, I'm just going to go back to taking pictures without my flash. I do agree with Roland that the comment was a little harsh, but it's a free country, you have the right to your opinion, just like Calfo has the right to his opinions of how to take photography, and you both have the right to express those opinions. The bottom line for me, however, is that for the average aquarium hobbiest who was sitting in that room thinking "boy, I'd really like to get some better shots of my tank with my P&S camera," this was an informative, and helpful lecture.

raynist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no you just get the blue one..they have them at elmers as well.

Another thing about the meeting..I am kinda confused why he didnt actually do demonstrations. You can learn ALOT more if you actually see whats going on..Just talking about it and powerpoints can leave alot of missing info. Wouldnt have been to hard to setup the camera and take pics of a small tank they could setup down there to show the effects of different things.

Last edited:

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no you just get the blue one..they have them at elmers as well.

Another thing about the meeting..I am kinda confused why he didnt actually do demonstrations. You can learn ALOT more if you actually see whats going on..Just talking about it and powerpoints can leave alot of missing info. Wouldnt have been to hard to setup the camera and take pics of a small tank they could setup down there to show the effects of different things.

+1 to that. Demos would be a great help the next time we do something like this. I'm sure if we'd all brought in our P&S cameras and taken the time afterwards he could've shown us how to do what he was talking about, but a demonstration would've been very helpful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back